Fan Delete Mod? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 08:43 PM
What? No Autobahn?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
(Thread Starter)
Possible to do a fan delete mod on a 91 325i? Me and my mechanic bought a "project" car for 2500 together. It's a complete dinan car minus body kit. full suspension, turbo pushing 17pounds of boost and up to 22 with blow of gauge, exaust, and every possible dinan upgrade known to man for an e30.

We're just curious about the fan delete mod for it. I'll have pics sometime next weekend of the car. total sleeper and is going to rock at the track. had a blown headgasket that my mechanic is fixing. he's also porting and polishing the engine too. and he lives in Idaho so no emissions so he's pulling the cat :P I'll be sure to have videos of the car when we're all done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
the fan delete mod can be done to any car. you just have to find a good electrical fan with adjustible temp settings, and figure a way to mount it if it's not made for e30s.

#3 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
you dont even need a temp switch i did mine with a switch...i installed 2 10" fans both on switches to give me the control...its the easiest power gain on an E21 or E30...be sure to get a fan or fans with a very high CFM because the original clutch fan cools the engine better than most electric fans...

BTW that car will PWN soo hard

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
as far as mounting goes...they come with mounting clips

i HIGGGGGGGGGGHLY recomend Permacool

summit racing

go with a fan like this with a themo switch for best results here

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Neutral Member

BMW@JMU is an unknown quantity at this point
my friend did a fan-delete on his rx-7 and you can notice a deacent difference. its a pretty cheap mod, so go for it.

-1985 325e - 5000 RPM's of Fury
#6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:13 AM
Neutral Member

Hoody is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't quite get the concept of this mod. You get more power because you're replacing the fan that is powered by the engine with one that isn't? Or am I totally off? used
#7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 06:48 PM
What? No Autobahn?

jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
(Thread Starter)
takes tension off the belts :P

#8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
It has nothing to do with the belts. The fan produces drag, which makes the engine work a little harder. This mod should give a little more power and a little better gas mileage, but prolly not enough to make a huge difference.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Hoody@Jan 13 2005, 05:13 AM
I don't quite get the concept of this mod. You get more power because you're replacing the fan that is powered by the engine with one that isn't? Or am I totally off? used
[snapback]270616[/snapback]
You replace a belt driven fan with one that works off of the electrical system... lightens the engine load, thus returning the power that was stolen from you. It's not really noticable and the cost outweighs the benefits in most cases.

#10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Torque+Jan 16 2005, 09:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torque @ Jan 16 2005, 09:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Hoody@Jan 13 2005, 05:13 AM
I don't quite get the concept of this mod.* You get more power because you're replacing the fan that is powered by the engine with one that isn't?* Or am I totally off?* used
[snapback]270616[/snapback]
You replace a belt driven fan with one that works off of the electrical system... lightens the engine load, thus returning the power that was stolen from you. It's not really noticable and the cost outweighs the benefits in most cases.
[snapback]272956[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

cost is about $100 and on my E30 i noticed a 0.2 second decrease in my QM so IMO best mod for the money next to chip

but you are right...you arent adding horsepower just restoring what was wrongfully stolen :P to take it even further i then removed the power steering and AC resulting in the engine turning the water pump and alternator...almost 0 load..total that dropped about 0.3 seconds off my QM...but at that point i had cam intake headers exhaust and TMS chip...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:52 AM
n00b

sniady is an unknown quantity at this point
What kind of drag?? You have a fan clutch, it only puts load on low speed driving. that thing freewheels at 40mph. So there is no load being put on the engine after 40 (if the fan clucth is operating correctly). By adding electrical fans your adding amperage now, so that means your alternator is working harder, right? So is there really a HP gain??
#12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 02:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
its less rotating mass, it doesn't give your engine more hp it gives you more usable hp it takes the power that was before used to spin the fan, and puts it to the wheels. any removed rotating mass will make a HUGE difference, like an alluminum fly wheel, and drive shaft, removing the AC and power steering, all those things will make ahuge difference. thats prolly why i should't have gotten 17 inch wheels but i like the look:P ahh well

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
its less rotating mass, it doesn't give your engine more hp it gives you more usable hp it takes the power that was before used to spin the fan, and puts it to the wheels. any removed rotating mass will make a HUGE difference, like an alluminum fly wheel, and drive shaft, removing the AC and power steering, all those things will make ahuge difference. thats prolly why i should't have gotten 17 inch wheels but i like the look:P ahh well

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)