Failed smog... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
csrumber1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to csrumber1
Failed smog...

so my car failed the smog test(the first half, 15 mark), but i'm kind of confused...
The engine was recently rebuilt (3 years ago) and doesnt have many miles on it.
I'm taking it to be completely checked out on fri, but my mechanic said it seems like a 300$ job, which i think is semi-bs.

but
I was thinking, could it be the preformance chip that i put in? Its an ebay chip, and to be honest, i didnt notice an emense power change as i was expecting...bad chip maybe?

please help! i need it to be insured soon!

Retired ride: 1990 325i - Manual - Chipped - Recaro Racing Seats - Eibach Lowering Springs - Original German Liscense plate (for style) - Black HID Halo Angel Eyes - Blacked out Turn signals - alpina rims. :-)
csrumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2006, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Was the car really warmed up when you took it in? That is the main reason a lot of older cars fail is cause the cat wasn't warmed up enough. When was the last time the valaves were adjusted, spark plugs changed, O2 sensor changed and oil changed? What grade and brand gas are you running? Have you ever done a hot soak or fuel injector cleaning? How old is the fuel filter?

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Haven't done most of those, but i'm pretty sure it needs an oil change. I need to go through the records and see if the previous owner did any of those things on your list.

But, it was warmed up and i pump 91 octane.

Retired ride: 1990 325i - Manual - Chipped - Recaro Racing Seats - Eibach Lowering Springs - Original German Liscense plate (for style) - Black HID Halo Angel Eyes - Blacked out Turn signals - alpina rims. :-)
Old 10-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Smog update:
Took it to my family mechanic, and he said its the cat converter...so i'm not happy about that.
But he said it should pass now because he ran something through it to clean it, but he also said he's not sure it will work. Hopefully it will, i'm taking it to smog again on mon or tues.

i dont know what he put through but he charged me 200$, not happy about that.

Also, he fixed my idle (yay!), and gave me 6 free spark plugs cause i asked him to check them when he was telling me what was wrong...and the spark plugs were shot.

hopefully a combination of these will make it pass. But now i want to get a new exhaust system and scrap the old one

What should i get thats cheap but nice and does the job well?

Old 10-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
if you need a cat you need a cat, nothing will change that...nothing...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Ok, so now i need to get a new Cat...cool

i was saving money for suspension then rims, but now i think i'll need that for a new cat and exhaust system; which is what i'm going to do now.

So i need your people's opinions; what should i get? I hear borla is really nice, but i honestly do not want loud or obnoxious noise...especially when i'm driving on the freeway at 75 most of the time.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
opinion:
I was planning on doing my exhaust too
just weld on a dyomax or magaflow
I think this is the best bang for the buck
or buy a supersprint, I like thiers. I'm told its good
I'm told BnB and ansa suck.??
I was also told the flow on the stock muffler is about as good as it gets so put the money elsewhere until it rusts out.
uless you just wat the kool sound and a little less weight and little more flow./hp

Id like to get a magnaflow.

Rfitz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)