exhaust glowing red - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 10:53 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wes325i is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
exhaust glowing red

i bought a 325ise e30 not knowing if it runs or not so we tried it and it ran but the exhaust was glowing red at high rpm so we stripped the head down replaced all the gaskets filters plugs and pumps banged it all back togwether and its running sweet but the exhaust is still glowing red anyone got any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 11:26 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
drop the muffler, sounds like it might be partially plugged?

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
If you have a pyrometer hit the exhaust before and after the cat.. if the exhaust is hotter AFTER the cat the cat is fine, if its cold then the cat is plugged..

the reverse is true for the muffler section

#4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:16 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes325i
i bought a 325ise e30 not knowing if it runs or not so we tried it and it ran but the exhaust was glowing red at high rpm so we stripped the head down replaced all the gaskets filters plugs and pumps banged it all back togwether and its running sweet but the exhaust is still glowing red anyone got any suggestions
Are you blowing out any black smoke during revs?
#5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

fastshivy is on a distinguished road
Hey starmavin...what will the black smoke tell you? Just curious..retarded timing can cause these issues too, but that is reaching. I like the cat idea, an infrared thermometer will tell a story.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 09:19 PM
n00b

www.e30Parts.com is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up You need an enema...

Your plugged - probably the Cat. Sometimes that honeycomb breaks up and can cause restrictions. Unbolt the muffler and the cat and bang the hell' outta them on the concrete floor - see what goodies you might have in there? Dead mouse, cat, jimma hoffa?

Good luck.:lol:

Please visit my website for E30 parts.

www.e30Parts.com

sales@e30Parts.com

Thanks!
:lol:
#7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:11 AM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Actually black smoke will tell if you are running too rich.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 09:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, but I am not sure how that ties in to the exhaust glowing red. Seems like that would do the opposite?used:
#9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 04:54 PM
5th Gear Member

It will cause the cat to burn it off, and glow red. If its like that for too long it'll kill the cat.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Gotch ya.. I thought he was referring to the exhaust manifold, makes sense now.
Thanks
#11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 11:43 AM
5th Gear Member

Your manifold is glowing? Do you have full power? Sounds as if your cam timing is off a tooth or so and is letting combustion exit too early. Was the head shaved more than .020?
#12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 03:21 PM
n00b

wes325i is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
starmarvin

my head has been shaved alot but the car has no cat a garage put a 320 head gasket in and the engine locked and ever since my manifold has glowed red
#13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 04:30 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
sounds like the timing is off a bit.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 04:31 PM
5th Gear Member

If your head has been shaved a lot, your cam timing is off. I'm not sure if they sell a block shim for the m20 but that is most likely your problem. When you have the head cut too far, the cam timing will be off a few degrees. This will cause your problem.
#15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 06:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I am just thinking out loud here. If the head was shaved alot theoretically you would retard the cam timing slightly...??? The tensioner would then compensate for the extra slack. It seems like you might move the torque curve around a bit, but is this really causing any problems? Could there be a water flow problem through the head? Are the head gaskets identical for the 320 and 325?
Can you move the ignition timing around a bit on this particular car, to see how it affects the "glow"?
One last thought...it could be a girl car and we simply do not understand it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)