BMW Werkz banner

Exhaust/Engine Smell

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Numark318i 
#1 ·
so I changed out my Exhuast to another OEM setup from Bavauto last year. The old one had a rusted weld and gave out.

Before i changed it out i started noticing a distinct smell or burnt..something. Didnt smell like burnt out, but it was around the time my power steering started to leak.

I changed the exhaust and didnt notice the smell for a while. It has started again. I only smell it when i drive the car hard uphill, so im not sure if its just my rings going out, my exhuast again(seemed to go away after i changed it), or somethign else?

The car doesnt put out any smoke at redline or below. The smell isnt of oil, atlest not the burnt oil smell im thinking of. I am thinking it is my Cat again, but how can i make sure before i change it out again?

also why, if this is the problem, would my new cat/exhaust setup start smelling again after 15k miles?

#3 · (Edited)
no oil anywhere. not leaking oil, seeping a bit, but no major leaks.

ill have to check the transmission mount

ok after frther inspection something is leaking. Not getting on the ground. I think my power steering is leaking again. wtf. I fixed the leak at my resevoir...guess i gotta look into that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.