exhaust casing - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2005, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
viali8 is an unknown quantity at this point
exhaust casing

The casing on on my exhaust (between the manifold and the cat) is loose and is making an awful rattling when driving. It is really rusted to hell, i asked my mechanic to weld it but he told me that it was too rusty and the metal would just melt anyway. should i take it off and expose the pipes or just leave it on? Basically what i am asking is, if i take it off will the exhaust pipe rust to hell during the winter with all the salt and snow?
viali8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2005, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Que
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Que is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Que
hey are you talking about the exhaust manifold gaskets ? if is those you're talkin about man what i cud say is that u real cheap, or should i say the funds is not there right now anyways is best you change those stuff, cause your car will not make it through this winter, that salt will tear it up
Old 09-10-2005, 11:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
exhaust casing

No not the gasket. if you take a look under your car you will see that the exhaust system from the manifold to the cat is all covered. Mine is so rusty that it is damn near falling of and rattling. i can see the pipes inside the casing. by the way i have an 87 325.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
joshh is an unknown quantity at this point
You need to replace it all. Theres nothing else you can do about that.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshh
You need to replace it all. Theres nothing else you can do about that.
agreed, i got lucky cause my system was nice enough (actually Cali car) to be able to be re-welded. but you will have to replace the down pipe section off your manifold to the cat (or wherever the closest bolt flange is on down the back)
Old 09-13-2005, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
exhaust casing

looks like i need to take a trip to the junkyard again? If i have to replace the that piece(from the exhaust manifold back) does that mean i need a new cat. too. when i look under the car it looks like it is all on piece?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Wouldn't worry about it, I'd just rip it off. Any aftermarket exhaust I ever got (headders, performance pipes etc.) never had that pice of tin on it. All of mine are gone. It's just a pain in the rear to try to get another pice and weld it on, plus high milage pices get brittle where atached to the pipe and just crack after rewelding.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)