BMW Werkz banner

Excessive rear wheel tilt

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  MrM3 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm a n00b here. I looked around at other threads for info on my wheel tilt problem, and have'nt found anything. If I just was not looking in the right place, sorry for the creation of this thread.

Anyway, can anyone share their experience with excessive rear wheel tilt? The drivers side on my 85' 325e is visibly tilting in more than it should, naturally causing fast wear on the inside tread of the tire. I understand that both rear wheels should tilt in to some degree. The solution that I believe I'm looking at is replacing the springs. Is that a highly probable cause or is there any other possiblities?

#4 ·
Welcome,

the degree at which the wheel tilts toward or away from the car is called camber. in your case, you would have excessive negative camber. i dont think it would be one of the springs sagging if the rear was sitting at a level ride height. compare the amount of fender gap between the right rear and left rear by seeing how many fingers you can squeeze between the tire and the fender. if the rear is level, then you have bigger problems then just sagging springs. also, dont bother taking your car in for an allignment since there's really nothing a shop can adjust to fix rear camber on your car.

#5 ·
In the process of getting my father's 92 325i cab in shape for sale, I got it aligned at a decent chain store. The tech, who seemed fairly knowledgeable, said that it was possible to adjust the camber in the rear wheels by shimming some part or another. Is there any truth to that?

--Chris

#6 ·
K-MAC camber kit (rear) $290.00 Turner Motorsports. Replaces OEM trailing arm bushings. A total BITCH to instal, did mine over the weekend. And when you open the box you'll SHIT when you see what you just paid $290.00 for! Good Luck!

:welcome

#7 ·
nope...you can't adjust the rear camber on bimmers unless you have the cheap (ha) mod that bimmin'88 just mentioned.

first check the bearings by unloading the rear suspension put it on jack stand so that the rear wheel hangs down) and shake :wiggle the top and bottom of the wheel in and out. there should be very slight movement. compare the right and left wheels and make sure they are even.

if the wheel doesn't shake too much and the two sides are even, then your problem lies deeper. good luck

#8 ·
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh(wrong answer sound)incorrect...i took my car into a BMW shop and you CAN adjust the camber...not a lot but i was told that BMWs come from the factory with a degree or so of camber...

the other possibility is he may be driving it hard and have a open differential and only one tire is spinning thus that tire is wearing faster....

$0.02

#9 ·
Originally posted by RealBMW 02@Sep 20 2004, 09:04 PM
first check the bearings by unloading the rear suspension put it on jack stand so that the rear wheel hangs down) and shake :wiggle the top and bottom of the wheel in and out. there should be very slight movement. compare the right and left wheels and make sure they are even.

if the wheel doesn't shake too much and the two sides are even, then your problem lies deeper. good luck
but yesh :yup i do agree to check this...you should definately check it out...

#10 ·
Originally posted by RealBMW 02@Sep 20 2004, 07:24 PM
nope...you can't adjust the rear camber on bimmers unless you have the cheap (ha) mod that bimmin'88 just mentioned.

[snapback]195590[/snapback]​
factory tolerance for rear camber is around -.5 to -1.5 (at least according to my mechanics software)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.