Excessive Rear Tire Wear - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:05 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
R_Atkinson is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Excessive Rear Tire Wear

The rear tires on my 86 325 are incredibly worn on the inside. I believe this to an alignment problem, but I don't know how to realign the rear end. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 03:02 PM
4th Gear Member

bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
take it to a shop that does alignments, ie: Les Schwab or something and they can do it.

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 04:38 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
could be ur RTABs
#4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsanders82
take it to a shop that does alignments, ie: Les Schwab or something and they can do it.
rear alignment is non adjustable, they cant do anything

it has to be bent suspension components or bad bushings, most likely bad bushings

on second thought is it lowered? if so the rear camber is increased...just turn faster and it will wear even

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:35 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
It isn't lowered. If it's not alignment, is the camber adjustable? If so, how do I do it?
#6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 02:22 AM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
It was said before, the rear is non-adjustable in any direction. Your rear bushings are shot.

You have two options:

#1 Replace the stock bushings (this is a good fix so long as the rest of the rear is in good shape, also the cheaper route)

#2 Replace the bushings with adjustable aftermarket bushings (although a bit more expensive, it will allow the rear to be fully adjustable, the best for stock or lowered cars)

P.S. E30's use an alignment technique called KDS and has special alignment requirements that must be met (weights have to be placed in your car, 100lbs drivers side, 100lbs passenger side some in the back and in the trunk with a full tank) to properly align the car. If not done correctly your car will handle differently and can eat tires up. I have done it both ways (with and with out weights, and the car defiantly handles better using the weights.)
#7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 02:44 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
starmavin summed it up for ya

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 02:21 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I dunno. My bushings aren't in too bad of shape, but the struts look like they're slightly crooked. The rubber on the bushings is completely intact. Would the struts cause this?
#9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 03:22 PM
4th Gear Member

bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
rear alignment is non adjustable, they cant do anything

it has to be bent suspension components or bad bushings, most likely bad bushings

on second thought is it lowered? if so the rear camber is increased...just turn faster and it will wear even

Kraut is this true only for e30s? i've had my e36 have a 4 way alignment before. i've watched them loosen and adjust the rear.

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Rfitz25 is on a distinguished road
MIne was wearing inside of rear tires slightly more than outside one side slightly more than the other.
It seemed to get worse the more they wore down.
It was because it was lowered and has more camber.
I put new tires on and they seem to be wearing evenly so far.
Of course I took Krauts advice and drive harder now. LOL
My rear mounts were shot too when I got the car a year ago and I replaced them ASAP.
Eyball your camber from the rear. You should be able to see it, compare to front. Are they straight up or leaned inward. Are they about the same left compared to right?
It may be toe in from something else being out of wack.
You can measure the distance from one side to the other as high up and as close to center as possible compare distance between front of tires and rear of tires. I think if they are toed out they wear on inside likr the front tires can. There are OEM offset bushings to correct this too. There are also OEM spring pads to adjust ride height whgich can correct camber issues.
But I'm just a garage hack most of this Ive read or heard from the pros like starmavin. Listen to him he rules!

Cheers,
Richard Fitz
'87 325is Delphin Metalic

#11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsanders82
Kraut is this true only for e30s? i've had my e36 have a 4 way alignment before. i've watched them loosen and adjust the rear.
ya E30 only...im almost positive you either bent something in the suspension of your subframe / rear trailing arm bushings are shot if the tire wear is that bad...

the other thing is, BMW's run a decent amount of camber...for a reason...and if you dont push it in the turns now and again its going to wear on the inside...especially if you ever "burn out" or do donuts its wearing just on the inside...

and the driving harder thing works even with over -2* of camber my tires wear even im not saying to speed or break any laws, just pitch it through the turns a tad faster...thats all

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 12:32 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I'm going tomorrow in the back up car (My mom's 94 oldsmobile) to autozone to buy replacement bushings. I'm now quite sure this is the problem, but it just blows my mind that the bushings went out on both sides at the same time. Is this a common occurence? Maybe I just didn't notice. The car seemed to eat the last set of tires really fast towards the end there.
#13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 03:29 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

they carry them at autozone? i have never thought to buy factory quality parts at the local autozone lol

hope it all works out

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:23 AM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
How exactly do you plan to press the old bushings out and the new ones in? Anybody that tired to change them on the ground with a hammer just ended up damaging the bushings and mauled up their control arms....
#15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
short of going to a shop, does anyone have any suggestions? Autozone does have a tool loan program for specialized tools such as this. I better check that first I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)