Eta: Why the 4600 RPM Redline? Truth be told - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Eta: Why the 4600 RPM Redline? Truth be told

A lot of miss information and questions led me to this thread.

The Eta was designed to be a daily driver. Good efficiency, lots of low end torque and almost 0 engine wear. How did they do this?

1) Soft Valve Springs
2) Lower tuned cam
3) SUPER soft piston Rings
4) Long Narrow intake manifold Runners
5) Efficient Chip Tuning.
6) Not to mention the Connecting rods are super weak

No i am not talking out of my @$$, this is all from the mouth of a 20+ year BMW Master Technician

if you want RPMs out of an Eta you would literally have to do the following
1) I valve Springs
2) I cam or more aggressive
3) Aftermarket Pistons to get the right CR with number 4
4) I connecting Rods
5) Stronger piston rings
6) I intake Manifold (Requires port maching the head)
7) I injection
8) I ecu

point being, its way too much work to get a 2.7 stroker this way, just buy a B25 and swap over the crank and get some aftermarket pistons and BAM your set... But, it is possible to get the revs out of the Eta, using the steps above(only thing Eta remaining would be the Case and crank lol)

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!

Last edited by gotKRAUT; 09-06-2006 at 05:48 PM.
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
con rods arent weak, thats actually false.. everything else is true. biggest thing preventing revving is the valve springs, i've setup an eta with dual valve springs and it was able to rev, just didnt make any power without a swapped out aftermarket cam.

next, if you want to rev above 7k would be rocker arms. have to go micropolished or billet. billet are sexy. yummy.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired administrator

Car:
Photos:
triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
Meh, rocker arms. Revving out an Eta is silly.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
triggrhaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Eta's with S50's are cool.
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeduster
con rods arent weak, thats actually false.. everything else is true. biggest thing preventing revving is the valve springs, i've setup an eta with dual valve springs and it was able to rev, just didnt make any power without a swapped out aftermarket cam.

next, if you want to rev above 7k would be rocker arms. have to go micropolished or billet. billet are sexy. yummy.

Well i guess BMW is mistaken then on the conrods they installed in their motors

My Previous Eta had i cam, i springs, i intake manifold port matched to the head and i injection, thus i had the i DME also..never revved it past 6k though i have always been told the conrods are a weak point from more than one BMW Tech now, so no offense i will take their word over yours nothing personal, for all i know you could be right i have never load tested them side by side..

maybe they ment the con rod bolts? i dunno i also remember hearing in passing that the main bearings were softer too just like the piston rings just to prevent wear but that one is just hearsay for now, i wanna yank an Eta and "I" apart and just compare everything side by side

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!

Last edited by gotKRAUT; 09-06-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
aparently a lot of people are misconceiving the entire point of this thread. I am not saying this is what you should do to make an Eta Faster. This is simply answering the question of how to get the engine to REV HIGHER. which is pointless but this is how. Thanks i will be here all week..

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 09-16-2006, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car: '77 BMW 320
Photos:
KMFDMR is on a distinguished road
Okay.. Well, this is a point I'd thought about myself, so thanks for bringing it up, gotKraut.

From a marketing perspective, when the eta engines were released, they were filling the gap that the diesels in the BMW range fill today. They were built to be low-revving (low wear), torquey, fuel efficient daily drivers.

What is possible to do to the eta to make it rev is irrelevant - why would you spend the money? By the time you get all the conversions done, and everything is sitting pretty, you may as well have sold the Eta, gone out and found yourself a slightly worn 325iS and had it's internals given a nice sprucing. Financially, it's backwards - if the Eta was meant to rev, BMW would have made it that way.

--
KMFDMR
Old 09-16-2006, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMR
Okay.. Well, this is a point I'd thought about myself, so thanks for bringing it up, gotKraut.

From a marketing perspective, when the eta engines were released, they were filling the gap that the diesels in the BMW range fill today. They were built to be low-revving (low wear), torquey, fuel efficient daily drivers.

What is possible to do to the eta to make it rev is irrelevant - why would you spend the money? By the time you get all the conversions done, and everything is sitting pretty, you may as well have sold the Eta, gone out and found yourself a slightly worn 325iS and had it's internals given a nice sprucing. Financially, it's backwards - if the Eta was meant to rev, BMW would have made it that way.

--
KMFDMR
You should also read my thread called "Luke, use the torque...."
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

--
KMFDMR
if my 540i was meant for racing and destroying camaros and rustangs and evos then they might have made it that way too.. doesnt mean i'm not gunna build it up for the power and handling to destroy 80-90% of the vehicles on the road today...

some people dont like buying M's straight up, but making them unique to their liking (i like e34's and the m5's torque output is actually lower then my 540is anyway...plus my car has an affordable supercharger available.. m5.. no sir.)
Old 09-17-2006, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car: '77 BMW 320
Photos:
KMFDMR is on a distinguished road
Lol. Dude, a 540i was designed stocko-blocko with a 286Hp - largest output in a car at the present time, barring the M5 - V8.. Slightly different situation, and as such your argument kinda shoots itself in the foot.

The fact is that a 540i was made to be a musclebound machine - lots of torque, lots of power it was made to possess these things. These developments you're talking about are congruent with the design of the 540i. Consider that effectively, 'wise' car makers build a perfomance engine like yours, test out what it can do and wind it back about a 1/3 of the way - so that Joe Bloggs doesn't rev the nuts of it, and put a piston through the header before the end of the warranty period.

The Eta on the other hand, was not made to rev, so performance upgrades to that end are kinda silly from my point of view, when there a perfectly good alternatives to do up (which there aren't in the E34s - I'd take a 540i over an M5 or the 3.0 V8 anyday; nicer engine, without the 'prestigious' pricetag). Having fanged my share of E30 trade ins, (including a Evo II M3, which was a grinner), the 325iS was the pick of the bunch from a perfomance point of view if you couldn't justify the dosh for the M3, and also from a modification point of view - look at all the stuff you have already, you don't really need to do much to make it a killer - stroke it out to 2.7, do the cams, chip, intake, exhaust and you've got yourself a cold blooded mofo. Which you could have for less than doing the silly stuff to the Eta, which is going to cost you more for the same thing. Capiche?

Not saying that you can't do it, or that if you can get it done cheaply you shouldn't, but the Eta was not a perfomance engine - this was not it's purpose, and thus will not respond as readily as a 325iS. Therefore, more money which could have gone further on a car that is the logical choice.

It is your money though. Do what you please. =)

I can't talk, I'm a mile upside down in this E21, and I'm trying to sell it.

--
KMFDMR
Old 09-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
Quote:
It is your money though. Do what you please. =)

I can't talk, I'm a mile upside down in this E21, and I'm trying to sell it.

--
KMFDMR
I know what you mean.. being un-employed the last 2+ months, I'm cleaning up my e30 getting ready to sell her :/

Half finished, 12 grand into her.. probably end up getting 2-3 grand just to pay rent heh.

FTL.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
Quote:

--
KMFDMR

as i stated before, i was mearly answering the question how, not is it worth it...

again, everyone is completely miss understanding the purpose of this thread

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)