errr anoying noise - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 03:47 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bamberg germany
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wrenbirdx2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wrenbirdx2
(Thread Starter)
errr anoying noise

ok i bought a 1990 318i(german spec) 4 door its has a m40 engin and a 5 speed it ran great when i bought it but about a weekago i changed the oil,airfiter,and spark plugs i didnt change the plug wires because the parts store here wants 120 euro for the dam things so im going to order them online anyway it started knocking and it seems to be getting worst its got plenty of oil right at the max line no leakes anywere on the motor anyone got any tips on what it could be please let me know thanks


Btw im in germany and bmws are like fords so if you need any parts mainly e-30's let me know and ill see what i can find
skull_powder_pontiac@yahoo.com
wrenbirdx2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 10:09 PM
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 1,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
#1 Who ever sold it to you had heavy oil in it to shut it up for the next sucker, err, I mean buyer.
#2 You put way too thin grade oil in it.

Personally, I'm partial to the first.
Starmavin is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Neutral Member
 
jfertita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jfertita is on a distinguished road
You probably put too thin grade oil in the engine. How many miles are on it?
jfertita is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 01:08 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bamberg germany
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wrenbirdx2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wrenbirdx2
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
#1 Who ever sold it to you had heavy oil in it to shut it up for the next sucker, err, I mean buyer.
#2 You put way too thin grade oil in it.

Personally, I'm partial to the first.


hmm could be a combo of both i put 5w30 in it when i changed it ive been told to put some 15w40 in it im starting to wounder when i changed the plugs maybe they werent gaped correctly

also ive heard a 3liter swap isnt that hard on these any truth to that if so anyonw know where i can get any info on it
wrenbirdx2 is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 01:11 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bamberg germany
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wrenbirdx2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wrenbirdx2
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfertita
You probably put too thin grade oil in the engine. How many miles are on it?
thats a good question ill have to check its a german spec bimmer so ill have to convert the number to miles (times it by 6 and drop the last digit)
wrenbirdx2 is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 01:59 AM
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 1,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
5W30 is too thin unless you don't see temps over 60F daily. I see daily 90F and I use 10W40 year round with over 250,000 miles on the clock, I'm going 20W40 or 50 next year. Just stay away from the additives.

Here is a quick reference guide to oil choices


Engine Oil___________Outside Temperature (*F)

SAE Viscosity____ -20__0__20__40__60__80__100
20W-20__________no__no_yes_yes_yes_yes__yes
20W-40__________no__no_yes_yes_yes_yes__yes
20W-50__________no__no_yes_yes_yes_yes__yes
10W-30__________no_yes_yes_yes_yes_yes__yes
10W-40__________no_yes_yes_yes_yes_yes__yes
10W_____________no_yes_yes_yes_yes_no___no
5W-30___________yes yes yes_yes_yes_no___no
5W-20___________yes yes no__no__no__no___no

If you still have your owner manual it'll have the full oil/temp table.
Starmavin is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 02:26 AM
Neutral Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Krast is on a distinguished road
Did you buy it from a used car dealer or was it a personnal sale? The dealers are required to give you a basic warranty here for I think 2 years. The bad thing about it is the fact you normally have to use them for all servicing.

There are several used dealers in my area that prey on incoming military folks and sell them junk for 2-5k euro. (Learned that the hard way on my 520). Most folks won't use them for the service which nulls the contract since on post or self oil changes are cheaper.

Good luck, hope it's just an oil weight issue.
Krast is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 05:49 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bamberg germany
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wrenbirdx2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wrenbirdx2
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
5W30 is too thin unless you don't see temps over 60F daily. I see daily 90F and I use 10W40 year round with over 250,000 miles on the clock, I'm going 20W40 or 50 next year. Just stay away from the additives.

Here is a quick reference guide to oil choices


Engine Oil___________Outside Temperature (*F)

SAE Viscosity____ -20__0__20__40__60__80__100
20W-20__________no__no_yes_yes_yes_yes__yes
20W-40__________no__no_yes_yes_yes_yes__yes
20W-50__________no__no_yes_yes_yes_yes__yes
10W-30__________no_yes_yes_yes_yes_yes__yes
10W-40__________no_yes_yes_yes_yes_yes__yes
10W_____________no_yes_yes_yes_yes_no___no
5W-30___________yes yes yes_yes_yes_no___no
5W-20___________yes yes no__no__no__no___no

If you still have your owner manual it'll have the full oil/temp table.
thanks for the chart ill change the oil next week i think ill try out the 10w40
i still have the owners manual but its in germany and i cant read it im american in the army stationed here
wrenbirdx2 is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 05:56 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bamberg germany
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wrenbirdx2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wrenbirdx2
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krast
Did you buy it from a used car dealer or was it a personnal sale? The dealers are required to give you a basic warranty here for I think 2 years. The bad thing about it is the fact you normally have to use them for all servicing.

There are several used dealers in my area that prey on incoming military folks and sell them junk for 2-5k euro. (Learned that the hard way on my 520). Most folks won't use them for the service which nulls the contract since on post or self oil changes are cheaper.

Good luck, hope it's just an oil weight issue.
lol i bought it from the junk yard (mwr) 400 dollors ran great till i changed the oil interer look brand new minus the drive seat engin looks almost brand new paint is ok has a few chips in the clear coat and some small dings 99% rust free has a few things i got fix for inspection passenger side head light needs adjusted and some how my front and rear driver side springs are broke other than that great car i learned how to drive a stick on it
wrenbirdx2 is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 06:43 AM
Neutral Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Krast is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't be as concerned with intentional scamming then. I just can't see MWR doing that. They throw the 5w30 in most of the newer BMW's, but I'd just change it back to a heavier oil and see what happens.

As far as the manual, is there a CPAC near you? If so there's probably a few Local Nationals that could help you translate if you sweet talk them. The temp/oil table should be fairly easy to find though... just do the F to C conversion and it should be self explanitory
Krast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noise in your system? da_bull Audio and Electronics 3 06-13-2013 10:42 AM
Defeating the Noise beast! ~JT Audio and Electronics 1 08-16-2006 10:58 AM
Ticking Noise From Engine Clint_M 3-Series (E36) 9 11-07-2004 12:02 PM
loud noise - including clicking tsinghbmw 3-Series (E36) 6 06-01-2004 03:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome