BMW Werkz banner

erratic ticking noise from engine, e30 316i

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  M40man 
#1 ·
Hi
Ive only had my 316 for a few weeks now, everything going fine till it started making a ticking sound that increased with revs. I drive about 90 miles a day, some days its fine and runs perfectly, other days it starts after 10 miles, sometimes after about 20. Usually happens while im on the motor way, doing about 60. Ive checked the oil, thats ok, cambelt changed about 7000 miles ago so its probably not that. Any ideas? The only other thing I can think of is the valves/lifters need adjusting. Any idea how much thatd cost?

The cars a 91 316i, 118 000 miles. Everything else seems to still run fine, engine temp still good etc. Just worried that with doing quite a bit of driving that Im goin to damage the engine. Could it be that the valves arent getting enough oil? Sometimes when its making the noise, if i turn the car off then on again it stops, but other times it continues. Very random. Any ides??? Im desperate.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Hi,

I have the exact same thing with the exact same model. I've been told that the m40 camshaft tends to wear out easily because the oil feeding line above it isn't wide enough.
If yours has an m40 engine I don't think you can have the valves adjusted, because they're operated with hydraulics.
I'm not doing anything about it because it doesn't bother me that badly.
Try not to rev the engine until at least 20 seconds after starting it. That sometimes works for me.
Mine has about 216000 km on it and I do about 400 km a week.
Having a new camshaft put in will require a new timing belt as well so having it done at a shop can cost you close to 1500 dollars.
With winter setting in you could change the oil to a grade that's more appropriate.
Anyway, let me know if you run into more probs, cause not too many people here drive an m40 316i and I'd like to get to know my car better as well.
Greets.

#3 ·
Hey morgenster are did you have the camshaft replace in your m40? if so did it eleviate the problem? I have been reading around and i heard from many people that our e40 engine's eat up those camshafts like crazy... sorta sucks i doubt they have made a stronger cam for this motor. i wish they did:(.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.