BMW Werkz banner

engine swap, out with old 325i in with younger 325

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  gotKRAUT 
#1 ·
How difficult would it be to take an automatic 325i and swap the engine and transmission for that of a manual 325e?

I realize the head and block are different, as is the exhaust, but what else in the engine would need to be changed over. Would most of the engine compartment be kept the same (alternator, a/c,, fluid resevoirs, etc)

If I were to undertake this project, what are the likely parts that would need to be replaced on the engine and tranny for best results.

I have been told that the clutch and guibo should be new, timing belt, headgasket, plus a valve job.

And for those who are curious I am a college student with a mechanic father and a mechanic uncle to help me out if I get lost in all of this. It is my project car, but I am still learning. My last project was an engine swap in a '74 superbeetle, quite possibly the simplest car around. This bmw should be a little more complicated and any advice is welcome.

#4 ·
not worth it... sell your I and buy an E... u might even pick up a few bucks

#7 ·
Originally posted by Houston@Jul 12 2004, 01:23 PM
My eta is a dog off the line! I'd take an "i" any day. It has limited rpm range and the final drive on those cars was only a 2.93.
The eta engine was a gas mileage effort and it is very good at that.
"Slam your head back..."???????? :confused
Dude your ETA must be running pretty bad...mine ran 15.6 all day...i was hangin with is's when i had minor mods...i have been test driving is's and they feel soo weak off the line..my e would throw my head back a lil off the line...miss the torque..i loved leaving is's off the line...im still gonna buy an is though...need a better road performance car the just a torque monster...but seriously if you are losing to an is off the line you should have your car checked out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.