Engine Hesitation Or Something..... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 11:41 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
E30PCT is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Smile

Alright i have a 1986 325 E30. The engine idles kinda low and really bucks around while driving, even with the pedal to the floor it just dosn't have power till about 2500 rpm, then it takes off like crazy.....till i shift and the rpm's go below 2500-ish. It usually only does it when its cold but sometimes when its not cold at all. The idle will pick up and the car will run beautifully after a about 30min of driving, is this a common problem with e30's because of the cold? or is there a problem with the engine? if anyone has any advise on things i should check or replace, i'd be most thankful. -Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 09:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by E30PCT@Jan 27 2005, 10:41 PM
Alright i have a 1986 325 E30. The engine idles kinda low and really bucks around while driving, even with the pedal to the floor it just dosn't have power till about 2500 rpm, then it takes off like crazy.....till i shift and the rpm's go below 2500-ish. It usually only does it when its cold but sometimes when its not cold at all. The idle will pick up and the car will run beautifully after a about 30min of driving, is this a common problem with e30's because of the cold? or is there a problem with the engine? if anyone has any advise on things i should check or replace, i'd be most thankful. -Travis
[snapback]280889[/snapback]
iv got the same problem and i have a 1991 318is. cept it usualy picks up after about 5 min, im thinking it might be the fuel presure regulator if i have time today im going to go buy one and put her in, could be stuck open causing the fuel presure drop. it might be your fuel pump too but the regulators cheaper and i have a new one so it can't be that for me

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
#3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

crazy91318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to crazy91318 Send a message via MSN to crazy91318 Send a message via Yahoo to crazy91318
Maintaining your BMW's vapor recovery system!

Here is a interesting article that I got from Bavarian Auto's news letter you all might want to check out I haven't done it yet on my 91 318is but this article made sense and I am haveing some of the same problems as you guys with the car seems like it don't do anything under 2500 rpms I often have to drop back into first just to keep the rpms up when I turn corners so I am going to try this and see what happens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0002.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	16821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0003.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	16822  
#4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 01:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy91318@Jan 29 2005, 09:39 PM
Maintaining your BMW's vapor recovery system!

Here is a interesting article that I got from Bavarian Auto's news letter you all might want to check out I haven't done it yet on my 91 318is but this article made sense and I am haveing some of the same problems as you guys with the car seems like it don't do anything under 2500 rpms I often have to drop back into first just to keep the rpms up when I turn corners so I am going to try this and see what happens
[snapback]282122[/snapback]
hmm it old my dad to pick me up the charcole canister about a year ago on his way home from work, but he brought home a fuel filter i thought that was a fuel line so i didn't bother to change it and put in the fuel filter instead of the charcole canister, its been on there for about a year and a hlaf, i took it off a few days ago, i should prolly get a new charcole canister... and well see what happens.

#5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

idanity is an unknown quantity at this point
hello;
ive had the same symtoms and ive checked (personally) from my fuel pump to the exhaust and the funny(only now its funny then it was painful)- thing of it was i fixed it w/ can of elecrical-airflow cleaner.

check your air filter and when doing that.
add this to the proceedure.

1 clean that air flow meter / either elec. cleaner or air flo meter cleaner. i bought it at a auto store for 3dollars.

the flap in the A.F.M. should be shiny and polished.

if it has the slightest of dust you can bet it needs to be cleaned and if youve never done it than it needs to be sprayed out.

before i did that i had all kinds of RANDOM sputtering and momentary hesitation.

including the checking of the air hose (if its cracked its sucking in dirty air and ruining your AFM performance. if the 3inch boot/hose has cracks or is not spongy and flexible than replace the big boot too. (25 bucks).but the easiest thing to clean is below.

i took off the AFM [attachmentid=17942]
lemme know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	325i_BMW_conv._AIR_FLOW_METER._MOVE.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	16958  

member of the <span style='colorrange'>3 pedals club</span>
member of the <span style='colorrange'>195,000+ mile club</span>

<span style='color:red'> its the ones who cant even drive slow that think i cant drive better fast..</span>
#6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by idanity@Jan 31 2005, 11:55 PM
hello;
ive had the same symtoms and ive checked (personally) from my fuel pump to the exhaust and the funny(only now its funny then it was painful)- thing of it was i fixed it w/ can of elecrical-airflow cleaner.

check your air filter and when doing that.
add this to the proceedure.

1 clean that air flow meter / either elec. cleaner or air flo meter cleaner. i bought it at a auto store for 3dollars.

the flap in the A.F.M. should be shiny and polished.

if it has the slightest of dust you can bet it needs to be cleaned and if youve never done it than it needs to be sprayed out.

before i did that i had all kinds of RANDOM sputtering and momentary hesitation.

including the checking of the air hose (if its cracked its sucking in dirty air and ruining your AFM performance. if the 3inch boot/hose has cracks or is not spongy and flexible than replace the big boot too. (25 bucks).but the easiest thing to clean is below.

i took off the AFM [attachmentid=17942]
lemme know
[snapback]283903[/snapback]

check all your vacume lines too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)