BMW Werkz banner

Ellipsoid Lights For My E30

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Kowalski 
#1 ·
#2 ·
"Smileys" are euro ellipsoids, those are US ellipsoids. They don't look like garbage, but who knows. Ask the guy to take a pic of the Hella logo on the glass to be sure. You can get new ones here... http://www.abrahamsmotorsport.com/ for $460 but they aren't cheap plastic ones that will condensate, they're real Hellas so they aren't garbage. IMO, I say just get an H1/H4 set up. You can put whatever bulbs you like in them just like the ellipsoids and they're much cheaper and definatley a lot better than sealed beams. http://www.classicgarage.com/53hehekit.html

#4 ·
i went to lordco and bought the H4's didn't know it was a popular thing to do, and i spent like an hour with relays getting it all working, but now my brights sorta dont work i think only 1 light comes on... i think my relays fell of contection they all worked b4 but go for the set, im gona get another pair of H4's tho and have 4 low beams and 4 high beams:p some serrious lighting!:)

#5 ·
Originally posted by 87 325iS@Jan 18 2005, 05:26 PM
"Smileys" are euro ellipsoids, those are US ellipsoids. They don't look like garbage, but who knows. Ask the guy to take a pic of the Hella logo on the glass to be sure. You can get new ones here... http://www.abrahamsmotorsport.com/ for $460 but they aren't cheap plastic ones that will condensate, they're real Hellas so they aren't garbage. IMO, I say just get an H1/H4 set up. You can put whatever bulbs you like in them just like the ellipsoids and they're much cheaper and definatley a lot better than sealed beams. http://www.classicgarage.com/53hehekit.html
[snapback]274304[/snapback]​
Yea I would love to get the euro ellipsoids, they look sweet. But they are a little expensive brand new. I think i will just get the h1/h4 set up, that way I can put better bulbs in there and stuff. Thanks

#6 ·
Originally posted by 87 325iS@Jan 18 2005, 06:26 PM
IMO, I say just get an H1/H4 set up. You can put whatever bulbs you like in them just like the ellipsoids and they're much cheaper and definatley a lot better than sealed beams. http://www.classicgarage.com/53hehekit.html
Thanks, I will be needing these soon, are they a direct replacement for the ellipsoid's in the '88 325i?

#7 ·
Originally posted by BMW-Attitude+Jan 25 2005, 08:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BMW-Attitude @ Jan 25 2005, 08:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-87 325iS@Jan 18 2005, 06:26 PM
  IMO, I say just get an H1/H4 set up. You can put whatever bulbs you like in them just like the ellipsoids and they're much cheaper and definatley a lot better than sealed beams. http://www.classicgarage.com/53hehekit.html
Thanks, I will be needing these soon, are they a direct replacement for the ellipsoid's in the '88 325i?
[snapback]279333[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

well you might want to rewire and put in your own relays, use the original wires to power the relays and run new wires from the power source under the hood so you have a higher power out put so you can run brighter lights. then go buy the brighter light bulbs the hella ones they're about 7 bucks each or so. and then you got a nice set of bright ass lights.:) i did the same thing cept i made my own kit.

#9 ·
Originally posted by witeshark@Jan 27 2005, 09:12 PM
It's well worth it, my car has the factory USA ellipsoids and I love the very well defined flat cut off dipped beam! :driving :bimmer
[snapback]280797[/snapback]​
ill second that its so crisp and a line where the light stopps not like splattered zigzagging line its nice:)

#10 ·
So..hold up.
The H1/H4 deal, as I understand it, is a set of four small, tubular things commonly referred to as light bulbs. When electrical current is passed through them, they ignite a filament, and that emits light. How am I doing.

That set has no casing, no 'lenses', in the sense that I'd call them, meaning the round, glass units covering my present trashy halogens. These aren't ellipsoids, but rather halogens, and won't be all blue and funky looking. Is that correct?

Sorry, I don't deal well with un-clarity, I'm just trying to get this.

#11 ·
Originally posted by Aether@Jan 28 2005, 10:35 PM
So..hold up.
The H1/H4 deal, as I understand it, is a set of four small, tubular things commonly referred to as light bulbs. When electrical current is passed through them, they ignite a filament, and that emits light. How am I doing.

That set has no casing, no 'lenses', in the sense that I'd call them, meaning the round, glass units covering my present trashy halogens. These aren't ellipsoids, but rather halogens, and won't be all blue and funky looking. Is that correct?

Sorry, I don't deal well with un-clarity, I'm just trying to get this.
[snapback]281429[/snapback]​
they wont be blue they will be the same color as your originals like the whitish color, but they willbe 10 times brighter. you can't however use the stock wires if you put bigger bulbs in like i did because they can't handle the power current, but you can use the old wires to wire up relays and they will work great. im going to buy another set of H4's so i will have an H4 H4 settup 2 sets of lows and 2 sets of highs, also the hella package does come with a casing/lens. it bolts right onto the mounts of the original lens you pull out the seal beam and put in the new lens, you do have to clip of 1 or 2 metal bumps that you will see when you get them if you dont get the pre made kit for the bmw. i didn't know there was a kit so i just bought a set of H4's and they're awsome im going to buy another set soon. the bulbs for them for the brighter ones that Dont come with the set are about 7 bucks. they're 75W low's and like 95 highs or somthing like that maybe higher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.