Electrical Problems And Other Newbie Questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 11:51 PM
77th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Hello All;
I am new to this forum and new to BMW ownership so be gentle! I just bought an '86 325e with a Dinan ECU Upgrade (Yes, I verified it, and it's for real!) and nice wheel/tire combo, but otherwise stock. I don't have pics yet, but I promise to get around to it soon! I am already hooked (I do this with all my cars, total passion, total dedication!!!) and want to get this car into the best shape possible. The car was CHEAP ($1800), acceptable mileage (190,000) w/ service records dating back to 1988, the body is in great shape, the interior is good, and the engine SCREAMS, so I can deal with a few minor problems, especially with the help of everyone in the forums!

First question;
The status indicator in the head liner is telling me that i have a brake light problem, but I replaced every external light in the car the day after I bought it and they all work. What gives? Is this an indicator of the bulb failure relay going bad? I HOPE not, the one I saw online was $120 or so! YEESH!

Second question;
My left turn signal flashes much faster than my right. In my previous experience with other brands of cars, that means a bulb is out. I already changed the bulbs and this bulb works (it is dimmer than it should be though) and the blinker still flashes twice as fast as it should. Why? Is it an electrical short/open in the circuit to the front left turn signal? Recommendations?

Third Question;
My Coolant indicator is on as well, and I have flushed/filled the coolant already, so is that a problem with the coolant sensor in the resevoir? Or is this indicative of another problem?

Fourth Question;
The dash isn't great looking, does anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket Dash Cap? I don't want carpet, and I don't want to take the whole dash apart to replace the whole thing, so a cap is the way I want to go. My interior is black, so a stock appearing black Dash Cap is what I am after, any ideas?

Fifth Question;
Any recommendations on how to get the indicator panel in the headliner to stay put and not drop out of the roof? I can feel some metal tabs that are in position to catch the ramps on the top side of the indicator panel, but I can't seem to get it to stay. Ideas?

Sixth Question;
Is the H4 headlight conversion worth it? I had H4's on my VW Beetle's and Ghia's when that was my craze, and they made a HUGE difference. What does the conversion cost? Time involved in converting? I changed the stock headlights yesterday because they were CHEAP (6 dollars a piece!) and one low beam was burned out, (I have got to say, this is the easiest car I have ever worked on!) the change for all 4 bulbs only took 10 minutes end to end!

Feel free to shoot me responses off list
jawa7609(at)yahoo.com

Thanks all
Josh W.
Arctic Blue '86 325e
5 Speed
Dinan ECU Upgrade

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 11:57 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
your turn signal bulb is installed backwards.

the coolant was probably low for too long a time and the sensor got calcium depots and/or rust covering it and it can no longer sense how much is really in it

the difference between the projector bulbs and the old (pre 87?) cars is decent but if your car didnt come stock with them I'm not sure its worth it. having said that, im ditching my stock projectors for a actual HID system, but thats because I do alot of highspeed night driving, and i'll probably sell my car soon and i want to be able to say I actually finished a project car fully before I sell it. damn OCD.

#3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 12:09 AM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your quick response!

Quote:
Originally posted by nukeduster@Mar 30 2005, 11:57 PM
your turn signal bulb is installed backwards.

the coolant was probably low for too long a time and the sensor got calcium depots and/or rust covering it and it can no longer sense how much is really in it

the difference between the projector bulbs and the old (pre 87?) cars is decent but if your car didnt come stock with them I'm not sure its worth it. having said that, im ditching my stock projectors for a actual HID system, but thats because I do alot of highspeed night driving, and i'll probably sell my car soon and i want to be able to say I actually finished a project car fully before I sell it. damn OCD.

[snapback]322011[/snapback]
>your turn signal bulb is installed backwards.

The front bulbs have offset keys, so there is only one correct way to install them. Both front turn signal bulbs are installed the same way and the right side works great, the left side is dim and continues to blink twice as fast as the right.
>the coolant was probably low for too long a time and the sensor got calcium depots and/or rust covering it and it can no longer sense how much is really in it

Good call, I will pull it and find out!

>the difference between the projector bulbs and the old (pre 87?) cars is decent but if your car didnt come stock with them I'm not sure its worth it. having said that, im ditching my stock projectors for a actual HID system, but thats because I do alot of highspeed night driving, and i'll probably sell my car soon and i want to be able to say I actually finished a project car fully before I sell it. damn OCD.

Thanks for the input. I am pretty happy with the stock lights, but there is always room for improvement! Trust me, with as many project cars as I have had (I am 28, have owned 19 cars, and called 10 of them "Projects" and have completed only one before selling/being stolen) I understand the OCD thing! I am a compulsive car junkie, and this one got me HOOKED with a quickness!

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 10:21 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
i've seen more then once people install the front blinkers backwards on an e30. its not hard to do it wrong as its house is just plastic. and it causes that exact situation.. a dim fast blinker because its not drawing the right amperage.

#5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 10:35 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
if your looking for a dash cap, try Bavarian Autosport out of New Hampshire, or BMP Design out of Tyler Texas. Both cases, you're looking at around $100, and i also think both only come in black. Sounds like a sweet ride, and welcome to the family

Http://www.BavAuto.com

http://www.BMPdesign.com

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)