BMW Werkz banner

Electrical problem

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Starmavin 
#1 ·
:banghead
Ok, I'm posting this question in an attempt to avoid paying a shop by the hour to track down my problem.

I've got a 1986 325 with the 2.7L engine. I'm not particularly a BMW fan, but I know they're good reliable cars. I picked this one up for a mere $900 (which was the main reason for my ownership) and it only had 115,000 miles on it.

My problem is this. I've got a short in the electrical system, verified by running test leads from the negative battery terminal to the unattached ground cable. It shows 12. something volts, which I've read signifies a short. I don't have any blown fuses (which is confusing), so I started removing fuses to try to narrow down the short. Well I was finally was able to eliminate the short by pulling fuses 21, 27 and 28. Which, according to the Bentley manual is the radio circuit (the only thing all 3 have in common). I've had the dash nearly completely removed and have a grey w/red striped wire that shows as grounded. But the Bentley book shows this wire in a variety of functions (mainly lighting). I've pulled the light switch connector, radio connector, multi-function clock connector and various other connectors in an attempt to track it down without luck. I can eliminate the grey/red wire short, but not the system short.

I can't seem to find a wiring diagram that shows the radio circuitry, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm inclined to continue replacing the alternator brush/regulator rather than pay high dollars to a repair shop where it could take hours or days to track down.

Thanks...
Dino

See less See more
#2 ·
Originally posted by DC118us@Jun 30 2004, 02:22 PM

I'm inclined to continue replacing the alternator brush/regulator rather than pay high dollars to a repair shop where it could take hours or days to track down.

Thanks...
Dino
Is it that you feel that the shop is not worth the dollars it is charging you to find the problem? If it were such an easy fix anybody could fix it. You obviously didn't factor any repairs into the cost of ownership, just that $900 price tag. At our shop it's $85 per hour @ actual time + material, with an initial approval of up to 4 hours for electrical work. You would probably be better served driving a Grand Am or some other throw away car.

PS: I would carry a fire extinguisher in the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.