Electric Window regulator for my E30 318i is jammed open. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rapidfalcon is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Electric Window regulator for my E30 318i is jammed open.

I would really appreciate some advice on this matter, as I am a bit stuck.
I am no mechanic, or electrician, but I have dismantled windows before, for spares, but this is the first time fitting a new window.

I rather stupidly locked the drivers door so nobody drove off in my car, passenger door being close to a wall, enough for me to squeeze in, (it turned out, all the doors locked, not just the drivers door) with the engine running yesterday, as I had fitted a new exhaust and thought I'd run the engine for 30 mins, hopefully sealing any tiny gaps with carbon prior to the emissions test for the MOT the next morning.

I had to resort to smashing my passenger window as I had a spare one in my shed (and I didn't want to damage the door with wedges and wire, didn't have any anyhow, to try to prize the lock open,) also the petrol was getting low and it was dark. I will NOW get a spare key cut, lol.

Long story short, new window ready to go in, I pressed the window switch to bring down the regulator wheels, meaning to stop at the access holes in the door, but I went to far, infact, I went to the bottom. It will not come back up now.

I have just had my clutch replaced, (by a mate, who's gone back home now, hundreds of miles away,) and with the gear stick removed, etc, maybe the switch has clutch dust in it, with the gaping hole.
But I fear its the mechanism jammed or gone of the ratchet gear (?) sorry not sure of the terminology. I cannot see if that's the case, and will not take the regulator out without advice as it might be in a bad position.

Re-Assembling Window tracks / runners ; (jumping ahead) I was also wondering whether it is easier to take the runners off the windows and slot them onto the wheels on the regulator, then placing the window and then slipping the window into the tracks or do you just position the regulator wheels and slide the tracks onto them, (I cant believe this can work really). Have I just answered my own question, lol.

I haven't taken the regulator out, (yet - to try a spare) as I am going to checks the switch and relay tomorrow, on pressing the switch, it clicks, to me, that says there is power (?) I was wondering if the regulator arms (mechanics) are jammed as they would not go this far down normally with a window and tracks in place, or some part of the regulator mechanism may have gone over the edge so to speak.

I did read a few posts, and one member said that when he slammed his door shut, something free'd and bit by bit, was able to repeat this until his window was far enough up to fix. And another suggested wiring directly to the battery (with no fuse as it would be) to see if the motor works still, but was worried it might force it further down, jamming more (?)

Thank you very much for any advice given, Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 01:30 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rapidfalcon is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
problem solved, it was the switch after all, thanks to anyone who has read this, and i hope it has taught anyone about to lock their door(s) with the engine running, 'not to do so', lol. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)