Electric Forced Induction... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb Electric Forced Induction...

I'm thinking about trying an electric forced induction system out. I've seen them on ebay for <$100.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELECT...29948970QQrdZ1
They claim to be about 2-3 PSI. I dont believe the 45hp boost but i think it will adda couple. And will this thing go before the AFM or after?

Just lookin for a little insight on this deal.

86 Alpine White 335is M30 Swap <br>My Car Domain
ASE L1 Smog Certified

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
It's just a heater blower motor off an RV, I've run into these before, save your money. Any gains you see from this are infantismal at best. It goes before you AFM, don't get me wrong you will kinda feel a difference, but not worth the extra drain on your alt. pluss the pain of wiring it in.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 12:23 AM
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
(Thread Starter)
Do you know of any stores who sell this sorta thing locally? I'd like to try it just to try it but i figure i could probably get it cheaper somewhere.

ASE L1 Smog Certified

#4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Italian Saint is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Italian Saint
Notice they put it on a Honda motor, kinda like putting a vaccum impeller on a lawnmower engine.

Serious RICE tech going on there.:lol:

By The Grace of God.
09/06/04
#5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:01 PM
For Teh Walrus?

WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to WALSRU Send a message via MSN to WALSRU
Also unless I'm mistaken look at where they placed that cone, on any normal weather day that thing will be sucking nothing but HOT engine air. Of course the placement would be different on a bimmer, but that's just poor engineering.

"I would not know what the spirit of a philosopher might wish more to be than a good dancer."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

1980 635csi Euro . . . Current
1985 535i . . . Soon to be parted out
2001 Subaru Forester . . . DD
#6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I just realized that kinda looks like the F22a in which case the air dam is on the complete opposite sideused: it looks like that thing is just placed in the engine compartment, I see what they're doing but why no tubing to make it CAI? I would take like and extra 10 mins plus like 20 bucks. On my old accord I built a custom CAI, it actually sounded and worked better than my buddy's AEM:lol:

Cool story Hansel.

By The Grace of God.
09/06/04
#7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:28 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
What does CAI and AEM stand for? If i set this up for cold air intake would that show any sorta preformance gains? I've heard mixed answers about whether it goes before or after the AFM.

ASE L1 Smog Certified

#8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

AEM = A company called advanced engine management. www.aempower.com

CAI = Cold air intake, self explanatory.

CAI would help but it would depend on a ton of variables like the size shape and bends in the tubing not to mention weather or not that little impeller has enough suck to actually create FI. Remember your engine produces a vaccum equal to the displacement minus friction factors, if this impeller can't produce a signifigantly larger mass of air INTO the manifold and ultimately into the piston then you will see little to no gains. CAI would help because you would be cramming denser air twards the manifold but not necessarily into the manifold.

My recomendation: Just do a normal CAI, or wait to pick up a real FI system.

Side note, helping out the breathing on one end is signifigantly helped out by opening up the other end. Mods in isolation get you smaller gains.

By The Grace of God.
09/06/04
#9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Electrical FI doesnt work very well from my experience. Cadillac motorsports experimented with it for a while on a CTS and found the draws to be too great to efficiently produce power. Needed a few aux batteries and a 200amp alternator, and even then it was only good for 30-60second runs before the alt needed to recharge the auxiliary batteries.

Plus constantly running a alt with that kind of output capability puts a decent dampener on your MPG and off-boost hp. granted when the extra current isnt being used it shouldnt draw any extra hp, but depending on how you setup when the "supercharger" runs, the extra amp and therefore hp draw might not equal out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)