Electric Fans - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
(Thread Starter)
Electric Fans

Looking for an electric fan to either replace the belt driven one or add on to it to cool alittle better. Anyone know of a electric fan company or where to shop? Also whats the best way to install one, front of the radiator, behind it, facing it, blowing away from it?

86 Alpine White 335is M30 Swap <br>My Car Domain
ASE L1 Smog Certified

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
oh man, I had a link, part number, and install for this. I'll look in my book and let you know.

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 09:46 AM
n00b

beamerboy85 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to beamerboy85 Send a message via Yahoo to beamerboy85
try looking at turnermotorsport.com the might have wat u need
#4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 11:00 AM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
FAL! http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/auto.htm Flex-A-Lite is amazing. They have a "universal kit" which is compatible with e30's without TOO much work. I have been wanting to do this conversion as well, but I am lazy and PO!
There are two schools of thought as to how to mount them, but I generally fall into the behind the radiator/pulling air through philosophy. There are those that go for the Carol Shelby idea with fans in front of the radiator/pushing air through, but I personally don't like the idea of covering part of my radiator in order to help cool my engine... call me crazy!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.

Last edited by 325eXTATIC; 05-27-2006 at 11:04 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 11:16 AM
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
(Thread Starter)
Where can i get it and how much is it?

ASE L1 Smog Certified

#6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 11:59 AM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Check with Jegs http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=10113
and make sure you do your research first. Like I said, the FAL kit is "universal" so there will be some customizing necessary I am sure. I haven't done it myself so I don't have any real advice, but give them a try!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:

Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
#7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 06:55 AM
n00b

e12Euro is an unknown quantity at this point
With an electric fan you avoid the power losses, but cooling wise I have never had a problem with the stock engine driven fan even in 100F temp. Often there's some kind of vaccum leak, ignition timing problem and the blame gets put on the standard radiator size/fan.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 10:42 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I cant sit at a drive thru for more than 5 minutes without my car overheating. I seriously doubt there is any problems with my engine, as everything is newly rebuilt. I'd like to do it just for better cooling.

ASE L1 Smog Certified

#9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 11:35 AM
n00b

e12Euro is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I cant sit at a drive thru for more than 5 minutes without my car overheating.
The e30 didn't behave like that as a new or young car. In my case on an e12 the problem went away after a radiator recore (easy to do with metal tanks), there was corrosion on the distributor cap, but the biggest problem was the gasket for the intake manifold. The manifold had been removed/put back a few times over its life without changing the gasket.This was changed making for a nice tight seal. Still using stock sized radiator/engine driven fan with a 3.5 liter M30. Anyway some things for you to consider.

Last edited by e12Euro; 05-29-2006 at 11:37 AM.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I apreciate the input. It gets freakishly hot here in sunny victorville, upwards of like 110, I'd like to keep my baby as cool as possible. Now that i think about it ive taken the intake manifold off and on quite a few times without changing the gasket.

ASE L1 Smog Certified

#11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, i took my old electric fan that used to go on the A/C condensor and bolted it onto the front of the radiator. It works awesomely. I wired it to a switch in my dash so i can turn it on and off when i need to (Drive thru's, etc.). I highly recomend doing something like this if anyone has an overheating problem in the summertime.

ASE L1 Smog Certified

#12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 03:01 PM
77th Gear Member

Damn good idea! Not too hard either I would guess!?

Might consider it myself, since the whole front of my engine is on the garage floor right now. What all did you need to do to make it happen?

Josh W.

Quote:

#13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
3 long bolts at least an inch and a half, some nice big washers, and of course 3 nuts. Ill upload a few pics when i find my camera. I drilled some holes on the back of the electric fan (the 3 spokes that hold her in). I'm not sure how relient your A/C system is on that fan, if you have A/C unlike me . If you dont, its perfect.

ASE L1 Smog Certified

#14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:35 PM
2nd Gear Member

DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
Joe,
Sounds like you had a thermostatic clutch problem. Here in good ole KY it gets up there around 100F somedays and I've never had a problem with overheating no matter how hot or long I sat... that being said I had an '84 318i that had a cooling issue. It was the thermostatic clutch. This clutch has a "bi-metal" wound spring in the front of it that expands and contracts with the changing air temp coming through the radiator. When it gets hot enough the spring coils up and engages the fan clutch in order to start moving air. It also allows the engine to run unrestricted when the air coming through the radiator is cool. (moving down the road...) If this clutch goes bad your fan will never engage and you have virtually no method of moving air across your radiator! The way to check this is to open the hood after the engine is good and hot (after running and sitting still like in the drive through)... and look at the fan. It will be spining slightly but the trick is it should accellerate with the engine if you rev it up with the throttle. (makes a big whering sound) If it just stays at virtually the same rpm regardless of engine RPM when hot, it is faulty and should be replaced! On the other hand it is upward of 200 bucks! since you already have the electric fan hooked up and your regular fan is obviously not working, why not just remove the stock fan and go down to your local Advance Auto and ask for a thermostatic fan controll relay. They have a really expensive one and a cheap one. The cheap one works great. You just put it in in lou of your switch and it (after some minor adjustments) turns the fan on and off as need without you having to think about it all the time! Just like newer cars do. Works great, I did this on my 318i and had no problems once I got her adjusted correctly she neve got above 195! Just a thought from a fellow broke person! Jeg's has enough money as it is!
#15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:41 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I apreciate the advice. I'm getting rid of my engien fan in a few minutes. It seemed to spin up ok when i revved up the engine, but it dosent matter now . Couldn't i just hook up the 2 thermo swichtes mounted on the radiator already? I believe there is a low and high speed for hot and hotter temperatures.

ASE L1 Smog Certified

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)