BMW Werkz banner

Electric fan question

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jonesz0003 
#1 ·
I am almost ready to put my S52 into my 318is E30. The guy that was going to set me up with an electric fan is no longer responding to my email.

My question is if i can use the fan from my air conditioner. I dont know how well it would work....it seems like it could work seeing as my radiator seems to do a phenomonal job of cooling even with a good quarter inch of dirt covering the front side of it after i pulled it out and my temp guage only ever got a quater of the way up, unless the AC was on.

If this isnt an option and if the guy never sends me the fan, could someone here set me up with a fan, wiring and all?

#2 · (Edited)
as far as fans almost nothing will fit once that S52 is in except a Spal Slim Line fan....they are available from bimmerworld ( SPAL Electric Fan (Cooling) )for around $150 and are highly efficient....

do not run only on the accessory fan, it will overheat, and you will kill that engine eventually

as far as the wiring bimmerworld sells wiring kits for the BMW also for around $35 Fan Relay Wiring Kit (Cooling)

#3 ·
shopkeep said:
I am almost ready to put my S52 into my 318is E30. The guy that was going to set me up with an electric fan is no longer responding to my email.

My question is if i can use the fan from my air conditioner. I dont know how well it would work....it seems like it could work seeing as my radiator seems to do a phenomonal job of cooling even with a good quarter inch of dirt covering the front side of it after i pulled it out and my temp guage only ever got a quater of the way up, unless the AC was on.

If this isnt an option and if the guy never sends me the fan, could someone here set me up with a fan, wiring and all?
Your temp was probably only going to 1/4 cause your thermostat is weak or broken. The aux. fan on an E30 will not keep a S52 cool. The SPAL fan on my M50 keeps the temp at just over 1/2 on a warm day. I got my fan, mounting kit and wire harness kit from Bimmerworld. If you get a wire diagram you can tap into the stock fan temp sender and make the SPAL work off of that switch.

#4 ·
ok thanks for the info. I just got the fan yesterday lol, took a while...It's from out of a volvo....hmm. Hope it works, he says the wiring is all set up, haven't really looked at it too close yet. I am now about 90% ready to start hooking everything up, I've got the engine sitting on the mounts just waiting for me :D can't wait to get done. Thanks for all the info once again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.