E30 Traction - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 07:41 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
(Thread Starter)
Hi, i have an '89 325is, it has bavarian auto. springs and factory shocks, which is probably most of my problem, the shocks are fairly new but not the stiffest. I had 17's on it for a little while and i couldnt get much traction at all even with michelin pilots. every time i would get on it and shifted to second my rear-end wanted to come out from under me, I have since put 15's on it with 205/50's on the front and 225/55's on the back (see pic) and the traction has gotten better but it still catches too much rubber shifting to second at higher rpm's. any ideas or opinions would be great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sugar_wagon_002.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	553.5 KB
ID:	15832  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 08:41 AM
5th Gear Member

Aether is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Aether Send a message via MSN to Aether
You must have an LSD, it's an is...
Feather a little more? I'm sure the problem only occurs under the fastest shifting you can manage, but you could try to figure out where your clutch pedal's play starts and not push it down past that point so you have more room to be kind when you let it back out.

Mine, for instance, needs to go about two inches to the floor to be disengaged. The pedal will travel almost seven, though.

Four Five Six - It's on.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 10:43 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Yea, it has a 4:10 LSD. It only does it, depending on how quick i shift, over like 4000. I understand what you are saying about finding where the clutch engages but im not sure how exactly it will help. Im gonna replace the shocks and get some thicker sway bars and see if that helps any
#4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 11:46 AM
5th Gear Member

Aether is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Aether Send a message via MSN to Aether
Thicker sway bars will help distribute the rotational force you're exerting more evenly to each wheel, so it'll help if the car always pulls to one side or the other. Since that would be indicative of the differential not doing its job perfectly.

Four Five Six - It's on.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 11:57 PM
5th Gear Member

guywithblack88e30 is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't really get good traction but thats cause i have no tread on any tires(no there not slick's) burn outs and power slides aren't friends with tires. i kinda like having no traction some times helps get sideways easy kinda hard to keep spining out or turns in rain especially with that stupid paint on street no traction on that for crap

Member of got its raining(in Members Lounge) to 100, 237, 250, & 300 pages club...
Member of 3 Pedel club...
Member of ran away from cop using DRIFTING not speed(ok a little speed)...
#6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
i would reccomend upgrading to a 40% lsd because currently you have a 15-20% ...chck out BMP they have some AWESOME LSD's pricey but you get what you pay for and second...drop the rear tire pressure about 5 psi because ym e30 had over 200 wheel torque and i never had traction issues...its about driving style too...dont "Quick Shift" where you dont let off the throttle while shifting....thats crap...and try to not just slam it into gear either...

as far as sway bars...they will help too...do you have a lot of camber? if so get a camber correction kit...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 12:17 AM
5th Gear Member

guywithblack88e30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BMDubya@Dec 26 2004, 10:06 PM
i would reccomend upgrading to a 40% lsd because currently you have a 15-20% ...chck out BMP they have some AWESOME LSD's pricey but you get what you pay for and second...drop the rear tire pressure about 5 psi because ym e30 had over 200 wheel torque and i never had traction issues...its about driving style too...dont "Quick Shift" where you dont let off the throttle while shifting....thats crap...and try to not just slam it into gear either...

as far as sway bars...they will help too...do you have a lot of camber? if so get a camber correction kit...
[snapback]258734[/snapback]
actually the quick shift does work my friends dad is a ace at it he used to race dragsters he beat a mustang gt in his focus its not a svt its the zx( or something like that)i have beaten a lot of cars with hell of a lot more power then me cause of speed shifting its not good to always speed shift and not good to do if you have not idea what your doing will burn clutch.

Member of got its raining(in Members Lounge) to 100, 237, 250, & 300 pages club...
Member of 3 Pedel club...
Member of ran away from cop using DRIFTING not speed(ok a little speed)...
#8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 12:21 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Correction... DO NOT KEEP THE CAR FLOORED BETWEEN SHIFTS...IT IS THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO TO YOUR DRIVE TRAIN AND ENGINE REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT MAKES YOU FASTER OR NOT...YOU CAR IS NOT BUILT TO HANDLE IT....THE CLUTCH IS THE LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES

if you do dont come crying to me when you break your drive shaft or transmission please...i am talking from experiance...guaranteed i can make a car faster without flooring it between shifts....

You know gearheads laugh at you when you do that right? its the newbie cheaters way of doing things in a non full built race car...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member

1985bmw325e is an unknown quantity at this point
so you're saying rev matching is bad...?
#10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 05:25 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

im saying when keeping the engine at WOT while clutch is engaged while upshifting is a horrible thing unless your car is built for it....you are just asking for broken axles, synchros, shift linkage, drivesaft, transmission or at least a burnt clutch...the car was not designed to be shifted in such a fassion...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Hell no i dont quick shift, i dont really want to buy a new tranny, and thats not how you drive a street car. Listen to BMDubya. I not really lookin to spend that kind of money on an LSD just for a little traction problem, but further down the road maybe. Ill try lowering my tire pressure some and see what that does. Its not really that big of a problem. I just have to be careful when im pulling out onto a street, cause i have hit second too hard and almost spun around. Anyways, thanks for the ideas
#12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

sorry you never stated your budget :P i was just giving tips.. the tire pressure should help and im glad you dont power shift but try out some bilstein sports when you get some money

i never said anything about a new tranny either...just said LSD

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 01:46 AM
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
"E30 Traction, cant hardly get any
"

answer: learn to drive.

I hate: people who haven't died yet that I hate.
L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.
2000 BMW M Coupe - Dakar-II - S52

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
#14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 02:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I know you said LSD i was just saying thats why i dont power shift, cause i dont really want to buy a new tranny.
spiff, how does not getting any traction have anything to do with driving skills, maybe i was exagerating when i said "cant hardly get any" its not really that bad, it just does it when i get on it and shift quickly. It even did it when the car was an automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)