E30 Running rough in 4th and 5th only - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 07:15 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cdruve is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 1983 E30 M10 engine with the Bosch K-Lamda continuous injection system, all original. The car idles nicely with the occasional hic-up and accelerates and drives very nicely through first second and third gear, when you put the car into fourth or fifth the problems start. When you put the car under load in 4th of 5th the car accelerates well and performes normally but as soon as you reduce the load on the engine to coast the enging runs very roughly, if you then change back to third the car runs smoothly and normally again. There is no rough running in 1st 2nd or 3rd under any driving conditions. I have checked the ingnition system fully and it is fine, any ideas what to check next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 08:19 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
what rpm does that engine start running roughly at? are you sure its a problem in the engine and not the drivetrain?
#3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 01:09 AM
n00b

cdruve is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
It does it at all levels of RPM and the drive train is fine as i have just overhauled all of that. I have also had all of the injectors cleaned so it is not them either.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 06:27 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Suck Squish Bang Blow....the four strokes...check compression air fuel and spark...if those dont check out and you fix em and the problem persists then i suggest ripping the motor apart...but i am honestly thinking that you will find it in the forementioned..

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)