Join Date: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
|3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.|
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
| Originally posted by MrM3@Jul 26 2004, 01:17 AM |
here's a list of parts you need. thanks to chuck waits.
E30 M50 ENGINE CONV PARTS LIST
1. E30 88' radiator, i used the e36 unit with the lower mounts raised
2. E30 88' radiator over flow tank
3. E30 M20 fan, poss. w/clutch
4. E28 533i motor mounts w/ 5mm spacers or e28 m5 mounts with out spacers
5. E34 throttle cable
6. E21 brake booster w/ mod.shaft, to 15mm or 325IX/e32 735 without mod to the shaft
7. E34 M5 or 25mm brake master clyninder w/ additional brake line used for the 325ix boooster
or a e32 735i with the modded 320i booster
8. E30 325 trans Xmember
9. E28 m5 or two 320i trans mounts/ wich are cheaper
10. E30 M3 driveshaft or i used the front of the e36 mated to the rear of my e30 M3 have it rebalanced
11. E30 diff. w/ 3:25 ratio or E28 533i w/ 3:25 lsd
12. E30 318 ecu mount
13. E34 oil pan
14. E34 oil pickup
15. E36 m3 exhaust manifold
16. M50 radiator hoses
17. E36 M3 Motronic
18. OBDI intake manifold
19. OBDI throttle body boot
20. E36 alloy mounting arms
21. OBDI wiring harness DO NOT BUY silver label “413” motronic, it has EWS (security),
it can only put into original chassis
22. the engine harness and the ECU are all E36 M3.
On the standard E30 with M20 engine fitted, you have the large round plug (C101) up on the firewall next to the brake booster.
This plug has 2 parts. One half is connected to the car wiring, and the other is connected the the engine harness.
When the M20 was removed, the engine side of the plug was removed with the engine. Now I have the S50 half of the plug in its place. Although similar in appearance, it will not plug directly into the E30 half of the plug.
I removed the E36 engine half of the plug, and replaced it with an E30 one. This then allows the 2 parts to screw back together. All you need to make sure is that you have the correct wires connected to each other. Its not just pin 1 to pin 1 and pin 2 to pin 2 etc (although some of the wires do actually connect this way).
This plug connection is the only point where the E30 & E36 wiring interface with each other. The rest of the E36 M3 engine harness is totally self contained.
23. the exhuast from the downpipe to the muffler is all custom made
the getrag 260 (e30) transmission will bolt up to a m/s50 but at a 10 degree angle (from what ive heard). you can also use the stock differential, but it would make alot of sense to go for one with taller gearing.
the e36 m3 transmission will also work, but you will need a e30 m3 driveshaft and will deffinately need a different differential.
i'm just going by what ive heard, maybe someone else (mystikal?) can correct or confirm that info
| Originally posted by spiff325is@Jul 25 2004, 09:31 PM |
what you usually need:
E36 M3 Engine
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|M3 Engine Swap (pics)||Furious||3-Series (E36)||26||04-08-2005 08:52 PM|
|What parts needed besides engine for swap||a224932||3-Series (E36)||5||09-06-2004 01:06 PM|
|1992 325IS engine + tranny swap||danyal711||3-Series (E36)||6||08-20-2004 01:57 PM|
|engine swap, out with old 325i in with younger 325||OldBMR1||3-Series (E21, E30)||6||07-19-2004 08:08 AM|
|BMW P83 Engine||triggrhaapi||Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk||0||07-21-2003 03:03 PM|