E30 electronics parts swapping? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
daklunk is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question E30 electronics parts swapping?

I have a base 84 318i. Just recently I purchased an (almost) entire used interior, including the dash, all large panels, and a majority of the trim and small bits and buttons, from a "loaded" 85 325i, with leather and lazy doors and windows. I was wondering how hard it would be to convert my 318 to having power windows and doors, as well as to use the OBC II unit instead of just the clock form the 318. I realize I'll need to scavenge some wiring and the window motors from another car (I might be able to get them from the 325 still) but is there anything else I would need? And, being that my 318 has an M10 of an unknown year, and the 325 had the M20, would the OBC II be compatible or would I need to find a unit from another 318?

Would the conversion be worth while? I plan on keeping the car for a while and sinking some dough restoring it anyway...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Bump...

Need help please! The guy with the donor car wants to get rid of it sometime soon...
#3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:47 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
You are looking at a lot of work, to make things easier you'll have to remove your carpet to do it correctly (the whole loom is 1 solid pice all the way to the trunk), and to make it a tad easier you'll have to remove the dash as well. The question you have to awnser is "Is a week or more of work worth it or can I just buy another with it"
#4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
The carpet and dash will be out anyway, since I'm replacing them along with every other interior panel, the seats, headliner, and some other stuff. But what do I need to know before hand? Is the ECU involved in power accessory operation at all? Will the OBC-II unit I have be compatible with my ECU or will I need to source one from another 318i? Will I be able to just bolt up and connect the window motors, or are structural differences to the door or the glass?

I just need to know what sort of things I'm going to run into before I ask for parts... I like having things shipped all at once.

Thanks!
#5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 12:36 AM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by daklunk
The carpet and dash will be out anyway, since I'm replacing them along with every other interior panel, the seats, headliner, and some other stuff. But what do I need to know before hand? Is the ECU involved in power accessory operation at all? Will the OBC-II unit I have be compatible with my ECU or will I need to source one from another 318i? Will I be able to just bolt up and connect the window motors, or are structural differences to the door or the glass?

I just need to know what sort of things I'm going to run into before I ask for parts... I like having things shipped all at once.

Thanks!
The power window loom interconnects with the door jam plug, you may be able to splice into that. I have a spare harness at work, I'll double check what would be needed when I go to work wednesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)