E30 Buying Advice - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 04:08 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mops is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hello.

I'm currently looking at buying a 1985 E30 2 door manual 325 that has done 122000 miles.

I'm wanting to have a weekend car, that I could do some work on, with decent performance. I do realize it's not a new car, but i'm prepared to spend some time and money on it to make it better, just for the fun of it. THe particular one I'm looking at has been driven by older lady

It has a bit of rust, but nothing that I cant fix.

It drives allright, the only issue there I see are the gear shift bushes need replacing and brake is a little bit sloppy (i.e. i have to push it further down than than normally to brake), but it still breaks good. Performance is pretty good, exacly what I would expect from 325 (i never drove 325 beofre, i drove some 318, 320 and 323's).

My only major concernes are with the engine itself:
-valvetrain is REALLY loud. They just changed the oil with some elf synthetic. Thesed no bottom pressure (if I remove oil cap and dipstikc it doesnt blow any gases out of there -> sign of good engine), but you can hear those valves from miles. Can that be fixed with different oil or adjusting valves ?

-looking from the under of the car at the engine, it is coveded in oil and greases, like it was leaking oil from somewhere. What are the typical places those engines start to go ?

lastly, can you tell me what model engine do I have ? the car has badge 325 only (not 'i' or 'e'), the redline starts at just over 6000 rpm.

Are there any aftermarket ECU's that would improve engine performance ?

Would E30 M3 engine head bolt on straight onto that engine ?

Thanks in advance,

Mops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 04:41 PM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by mops@Aug 11 2005, 03:08 PM

lastly, can you tell me what model engine do I have ? the car has badge 325 only (not 'i' or 'e'), the redline starts at just over 6000 rpm.

Are there any aftermarket ECU's that would improve engine performance ?

Would E30 M3 engine head bolt on straight onto that engine ?

Thanks in advance,

Mops.
[snapback]369019[/snapback]
Get the VIN Number of the car you are looking at and enter it here
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi
it will tell you basics about your chassis, engine and all that stuff, it will tell you specifics about which model (usually no letter indicates that it is an Eta or E model) you have as well.

As for engine, if I get my M3 knowledge correct, the E30 M3 engine is the S14, which is a 4 cylinder, so there is no direct part for part swapping between engines. Most likely you have an M20B25 engine (straight six), and if it IS an Eta, you will have a significant amount of Torque, and your acceleration will feel pretty spirited at full tilt, but it won't embarass a Mustang LX or anything.

As for chips, my car came with a Dinan ECU(http://www.dinanbmw.com) already installed, so I don't have before/after comparisons but it ipened the redline up significanlty. The stock redline on an Eta is around 4500rpm I believe, but with this chip, I can push it well past 5000! And acceleration is in the mid 7's for 0-60mph, which is 2-2.5 seconds quicker than stock!!! Granted there are better than stock tires and a brand new clutch in it, but still!
The chip I would have bought if I didn't have one already though would be from Bavarian Autosport (www.bavauto.com) since it is cheaper but offers the same or very similar performance.

Hope this gets you off to a good start!

Josh W

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 08:07 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
on top of what was said already...get the valves adjusted! it only runs about $70 here, so it isn't that bad. cheap insurance too.

dave

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 03:19 AM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
The valve adjustment isn't hard to do yourself, but if they have been ignored for a while the adjusters may be hammered and may no longer be "adjustable".... Kinda costly to fix.
On the 1986 and older bmw's I've seen the E or ES emblems are on the drivers side of the trunk not apart of the 325 emblem and often fall off.

Oil leaks common from the oil return tube seals under the intake, also the front and rear crank seals. Valve cover gaskets will also have a hand at making the block wet. Resolve the oil leaks asap. Oil acts likes a solvent to rubber based products turning them to mush. ie heater hoses, vac hoses, motor mounts, shifter bushings, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)