BMW Werkz banner

E30 bucking and not idleling

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  saxit2me 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am driving my grandmother's 1985 325e five-speed that we have had since new with 89k miles. Anyways, this car has a few issues to sort out. First off, at about 1800 rpm under light throttle with clutch out in the first three gears there is a wild bucking that only goes away if I floor it or push in the clutch. It is so violent that I don't see how the tranny hasn't fallen out. The second problem is that the car won't hold an idle at all when cold, and is very lumpy and vacillates when warm. The idle is about 600 rpm. Any and all responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you. :help :drunk :banghead

#3 ·
If it's been owned solely by an old woman
LOL.

Yes, cleanlyness, check all the things he said, im repeating this because maintaining your car to just stock capability will do you wonders. Sometimes an upgrade can be getting a newer stock part for your car :thumbs

#4 ·
Alright thanks guys, I am going to check my all my plugs and the whole fuel system. Thats what I thought was wrong, but I didnt want to jump the gun and start to buy all new oem parts when not needed. Thanks again...

#5 ·
Last Week I got in an accident with my 1985 325e, and totaled the body. However, I have a great transmission, and am at the point of selling the parts. I bought it 6 months ago from my brother who is an Audi technician. I've got some great parts, let me know if you're interested

#6 ·
Originally posted by marbles@Aug 15 2004, 03:02 PM
Last Week I got in an accident with my 1985 325e, and totaled the body. However, I have a great transmission, and am at the point of selling the parts. I bought it 6 months ago from my brother who is an Audi technician. I've got some great parts, let me know if you're interested
how are the seats in your car... I might be willing to buy them

#7 ·
Check out the MAF. My 280Z had the same exact problem. After 600 bucks for fuel injector rewiring, spark plugs, wires ,troubleshooting, and tuning.

I took it home only a little better off than it was. I ordered a new MAF. I plugged it in and still no improvement. then I found a wire that was connected directly to the body. I unplugged it and BAM! instant fix. for whatever reason that wire was grounding out the MAF and it apparently screwed up the old one. also, I found that the unit was grounding out in the rain too. the water would find its way up into the engine bay and build up between the metal plate holding the MAF and the MAF itself causing instant bucking and finally, loss of power. (I neglected to put the splash shield back after some work) not sure how similar my 75 280z and you car are, my Z has a straight six, and is Fuel injected. Well there is my advise. Hope it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.