E30 325iS - How Easy To Obtain 300bhp? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 01:49 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
karmatik is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
E30 325iS - How Easy To Obtain 300bhp?

Hi All

My first post from way over in Melbourne, Australia.

I have recently bought a mint 325iS and considering some power upgrades. As the title goes, how hard and expensive is it to increase power output to 300bhp(without NOS)?

To do this,I would assume an M50 conversion would be the sensible thing to do first. After that Im not sure. I would have thought I would have some time to work on the engine as it will be outside the car.

Im thinking turbo would be the way to go. How reliable are these M50 engines for this kind of power, rods, pistons, bottem end? Im guessing I would need engine managment, strengthened gearbox, driveshafts and an LSD?

What about the engine bay, with the M50 engine, is there adequate room for a turbo and FMIC?

Thanks for your help guys!

Feel free to slate my suggestions above, the BMW world is pretty new to me.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

bimmerfreak87 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to bimmerfreak87
dude

ya dude you can get 300bhp without NOS easily. if you have the money, which it sounds like you do if you just got the car and your already plannng a M50 conversion. and ya dude i dont know from experience but i believe i have come acrouse a M50 conversion with the added turbo so you should have enough room. good luck with it man and pray that i get some money soon so i can do the same
#3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak87
ya dude you can get 300bhp without NOS easily. if you have the money, which it sounds like you do if you just got the car and your already plannng a M50 conversion. and ya dude i dont know from experience but i believe i have come acrouse a M50 conversion with the added turbo so you should have enough room. good luck with it man and pray that i get some money soon so i can do the same
You're new, so I'll forgive you this once, but if you say NOS again I'm going to smack you so hard your teeth will all move over one space to the right.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 09:21 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrhaapi
You're new, so I'll forgive you this once, but if you say NOS again I'm going to smack you so hard your teeth will all move over one space to the right.
WTF was that about?
#5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
NOS is the devil. Do not install it.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 04:35 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Yes, I know, thats why I asked how easy to obtain 300bhp without the said substance.

Did you have a nasty experience with the stuff, and getting back on topic, any opinion on the thread title?
#7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear Member

JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
Haha

86 Alpine White 335is M30 Swap <br>My Car Domain
ASE L1 Smog Certified

#8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:

well so is superchargers and turbochargers esentially then, they all do the same thing, move more oxygen to the combustion chamber

i say M50 with a set of S52 cams and a mild turbo and you could see 300 quite easliy

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:43 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
well so is superchargers and turbochargers esentially then, they all do the same thing, move more oxygen to the combustion chamber
Thats a fair point although I think the said substance (not mentioning the word for fear of teeth realignment!) is a little more volatile, not to mention the ongoing expenses of enthusiastic use.....
#10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 01:50 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
huh, i have used it on almost all of my cars, some more than others with no problems ever. the problem with nitrous is the pooor kits and improper installs. With a good ZEX or NX wet setup, properly installed you shouldnt see many problems at all with nitrous....only problems i have had with it is breaking clutches and axles

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:22 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Anybody else got any opinions on this question?
#12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 01:26 PM
n00b

h4rdwire is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to h4rdwire Send a message via MSN to h4rdwire
karmatik...when you specified 300bhp in your 325is...i'd figure you meant the car specifically meaning the m20 in there...obviously engine swaps can answer your problem almsot in 2 moves...

Swap and Turbo. Gota be a little more specific.
#13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Neutral Member

joshh is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're looking to get 300 hp just buy the S50 and do a few simple mods to it. Then you have the stock reliability and don't have to fook with the car.

Finally pulled the M50 from the donor car.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 02:07 AM
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
As gotKraut said:

M50 + S52 Cams + Mild Turbo Setup w/ Fmic, should be good to go. Then, feel free to do more to the M50, internally. Talk to Kyle(gotKraut) about that, or Alex320i.

I hate: people who haven't died yet that I hate.
L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.
2000 BMW M Coupe - Dakar-II - S52

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
#15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 11:54 AM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Quote:
LOL

First off NOS is a brand, and second if you had spent any time with someone who knew what they were doing you would see that a nitrous kit is an easy way to get power when set up properly. The people that have problems with a N2O kit are the people that cheep out on it and don't install the proper safety devices like a WOT switch along with a RPM window switch. You also have to know the limits of your cars engine. You can't just throw a 150 dry shot on a car and expect it to work right. If I had a second car I'd throw a Nitrous Express kit on my M50. To do it right I'd spend around $700 and have an instant 100+ HP at the flip of a switch.

Now to the orginal poster, if you want 300+ HP you are going to have to spend some $$$$. A VANOS M50 with the AA supercharger kit with about 8 PSI will put down around 280 HP at the wheels. The SC kit alone is $4000+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)