Dual Intake Throttle Bodies? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 01:01 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kickarse is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Dual Intake Throttle Bodies?

I know I'm a newb when it comes to BMW's but I was looking at the Intake Mani and it seems like it'd be possible to put another TB on the other side. Relocating what's there currently.

Has this been done before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT

No it has not been done before and i hope it never is done. It would ruin the current flow of the intake manifold. The intake manifold was engineered the way it is for a reason, its a balance of velocity and volume to get just right right flow characteristics. I have seen the factory intake manifolds/throttle bodies make over 280whp NAwhich is 140whp over stock, and well over 500whp when turbo'd...the engineers arent morons you know

now, if you really wanna get crazy and plan to make over 400hp then you need individual throttle bodies, which will MURDER your tq but increase the top end power a tad as seen above ^ the are made by DBilas and cost around $3k

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:39 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I figured that BMW knew what they were doing with the Manifold engineering. I was just curious.

Has anyone taken a S50/M50 manifold and modified it to fit a M20 engine? Is that even technically/physically viable?

I bet just porting for flow would be best though.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:44 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickarse
Yeah I figured that BMW knew what they were doing with the Manifold engineering. I was just curious.

Has anyone taken a S50/M50 manifold and modified it to fit a M20 engine? Is that even technically/physically viable?

I bet just porting for flow would be best though.
The M50 and S50 manifold are the same but nither of them will bolt to an M20 head. The runner ports and bolt flanges are completly different from the M20.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:51 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I wonder if it'd be possible to make one like the s14 but for the m20??
#6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
the S14 uses individual throttle bodies like the dbilas one i listed above

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!

Last edited by gotKRAUT; 09-12-2007 at 03:45 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:49 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I see... thanks...
#8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 02:42 AM
n00b

reggid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT

No it has not been done before and i hope it never is done. It would ruin the current flow of the intake manifold. The intake manifold was engineered the way it is for a reason, its a balance of velocity and volume to get just right right flow characteristics. I have seen the factory intake manifolds/throttle bodies make over 280whp NAwhich is 140whp over stock, and well over 500whp when turbo'd...the engineers arent morons you know

now, if you really wanna get crazy and plan to make over 400hp then you need individual throttle bodies, which will MURDER your tq but increase the top end power a tad as seen above ^ the are made by DBilas and cost around $3k
while some manifolds will allow 280whp NA..........an M20 one won't its not ideal for making topend power. The m20 one was designed more than 20 years ago at a time when the only way to test a different setup was to make one and test it which takes time and money so i don't think they did very many iterations and therefore there are definite improvements to be made........ there have been many improvements in manifolds over the last 30 years so perhaps you could try and adapt some of them (theories not manifolds).

Having said that putting another throttle body won't help things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)