diving boards to plastic - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
84bmw318i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 84bmw318i
(Thread Starter)
diving boards to plastic

i have an 84' 318i with metal bumpers "diving boards" is it possible to swap them out for plastic bumpers or do they even make plastic bumpers for this year and model?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT

yep i use to have diving boards, heres a stock pick when i got my car

the deal is the front valance and bumper bolt right up, the rear you have to cut the side sections and take out about 1 inch, then plastic weld it back together...then repaint...heres while it was drying

the rear is a big chore, but i love it...heres the finished product

so i skipped the rear valance weld up conversion but thats what this write up starts with, you can skip that part, still looks good either way...

Project Facelift - R3VLimited Forums

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
as another option, in case you haven't heard, you can "tuck" the metal bumpers so they don't stick out as far.

for my car, I personally like the chrome/black combo so I'd rather tuck the bumpers than put plastic ones on.

Just throwing it out there as another option.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 12:49 PM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
as another option, in case you haven't heard, you can "tuck" the metal bumpers so they don't stick out as far.

for my car, I personally like the chrome/black combo so I'd rather tuck the bumpers than put plastic ones on.

Just throwing it out there as another option.
Keep your damn opinions to yourself! What the hell do you think this is?

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatCat View Post

Listen you little kanuck, I don't know what life's like up in your little igloo...but don't you be blowing me anymore kisses...at least not until you buy me a drink first...

#6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 01:34 PM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Listen you little kanuck, I don't know what life's like up in your little igloo...but don't you be blowing me anymore kisses...at least not until you buy me a drink first...

It's a rather large and sumptuous 2 story igloo, thank you very much. That's all it's gonna' take? One drink? JACKPOT!

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT

i did the tuck first as seen here, pulled off the bumpers, covered the chrome in black vinyl then reinstalled rubber strip, drilled the shocks then remounted...

gave it the E28 M5 bumper look cause they were diving boards painted black...i cheated and used vinyl

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 02:05 PM
teh Canuck....eh

Kyle, have you ever gotten any flak for having yellow high-beams?

Sir Winston Churchill
#9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

nope why would i?? its completely legal, in fact im going to redo them, with the lows and highs yellow...

ive never gotten anything but compliments to be honest

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

84bmw318i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 84bmw318i
(Thread Starter)
how hard would it be to just tuck them?

#11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear Member

silversled can only hope to improve
so what are you guys? a bunch of goofs? arguring over such bullcrap...really...little boys
#12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:24 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84bmw318i View Post
how hard would it be to just tuck them?
Not Hard, at all, I think you need to somehow drain the fluid in the hydrolic shocks or whatever is behind the diving board and then basically use a tree or something that won't move easily and bump into it to compress them. You might want to do a little searching 1st (i'm sure e30tech.com has some info if there isn't anything here) on the proper procedure but it shouldn't be too hard.

Quote:
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
#14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:50 AM
teh Canuck....eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT View Post
nope why would i?? its completely legal, in fact im going to redo them, with the lows and highs yellow...

ive never gotten anything but compliments to be honest
That's good to hear...I installed my E-code w/yellows for my low/high beams and haven't gotten any grief for it so far, that's fine by me. I know the E-codes aren't DOT approved, but I doubt a cop would be able to notice from their cruiser anyways. I don;t know yet if I am going to do the highs in yellow or not. I do love the E-code lenses though...soooooo much more light on the road!

Sir Winston Churchill
#15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:52 AM
3rd Gear Member

Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
here is a link to tuck:

strictlyeta.net /// technical /// exterior /// aluminum bumper tuck

from what I have found wear saftey glasses because you might get a money shot from the bumper shock.

Quote:
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)