Dashboard Engine Oil Light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2005, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
moetinger is an unknown quantity at this point
The light on my dash flickers sporadically. My mechanic said my oil pump might be going bad. with my experince with this car, I think it might be a bad sensor or connection. I've got pletny of oil so I know that is not the prob.

Any input would greatly appreciated.

Also, what does everyone think about 16" TSW hock r's for rims?? I can get a killer deal on a set for my convertible.

Thanks!
moetinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ae.cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Your mechanic could be right, that sensor is an idiot light for oil pressure, and if its on, then you need to STOP driving, b/c that means that your oil pressure is super low. But it could also be a short somewhere in that circuit, causing the light to come on. Do you notice any drivability problems??? Lack of acceleration or anything that could be caused by low oil pressure???
**Member of the Lone Star Club**
**Member of the Ticket for Passing on Left Shoulder Club**
(I actually got that ticket dismissed lol)
ae.cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
moetinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by ae.cowboy@May 13 2005, 11:29 AM
Your mechanic could be right, that sensor is an idiot light for oil pressure, and if its on, then you need to STOP driving, b/c that means that your oil pressure is super low. But it could also be a short somewhere in that circuit, causing the light to come on. Do you notice any drivability problems??? Lack of acceleration or anything that could be caused by low oil pressure???
[snapback]344178[/snapback]
The accelaration seems fine and in all honesty, I have been driving the car ever since I bought it (about 15K miles ago) just like that. If you think this is a serious prob that needs to be addressed so be it. Cheaper than replacing the engine!
moetinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Tadao is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by moetinger+May 13 2005, 11:37 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moetinger @ May 13 2005, 11:37 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ae.cowboy@May 13 2005, 11:29 AM
The accelaration seems fine and in all honesty, I have been driving the car ever since I bought it (about 15K miles ago) just like that. If you think this is a serious prob that needs to be addressed so be it. Cheaper than replacing the engine!
[snapback]344183[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

I have never seen my oil pressure light come on, even when I'm starting (when I think it is supposed to come on for a bit and shut off after the car is started). I changed my oil pressure switch (because it started leaking oil) and the light still never comes on. I'm nervous that something could be wrong, or that it could go really wrong if I lose pressure and the dummy light doesn't tell me. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 07-29-2005, 01:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by Tadao+Jul 27 2005, 02:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadao @ Jul 27 2005, 02:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by moetinger@May 13 2005, 11:37 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-ae.cowboy
Quote:
@May 13 2005, 11:29 AM

I have never seen my oil pressure light come on, even when I'm starting (when I think it is supposed to come on for a bit and shut off after the car is started). I changed my oil pressure switch (because it started leaking oil) and the light still never comes on. I'm nervous that something could be wrong, or that it could go really wrong if I lose pressure and the dummy light doesn't tell me. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Mark
[snapback]365552[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

the bulb is probably burnt out.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Angelic0- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Angelic0-
Quote:
Originally posted by Kowalski+Jul 29 2005, 06:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kowalski @ Jul 29 2005, 06:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Tadao@Jul 27 2005, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by moetinger@May 13 2005, 11:37 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-ae.cowboy
Quote:
Quote:
@May 13 2005, 11:29 AM

Thanks,
Mark
[snapback]365552[/snapback]
the bulb is probably burnt out.
[snapback]365913[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Or someone pulled out the bulb since it was on continously

Anyhows, check the bulb first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazi!
Viktor :|
Angelic0- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
schilke is an unknown quantity at this point
As for the original question...

Some of them BMW sixes were prone to having the oil pump disassemble itself and fall into the oil pan. Eights especially. I think you may want to have your oil pump looked at or replaced. Those lights don't really go haywire too often.

Do you think you may have some sludge in the engine? That may cause the low pressure too...

A BMW is for the soul, a Chevy is for groceries...

BAN KRAFTFAHRER!!!!
schilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)