Crazy worthless idea, but I want to do it anyhow! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:13 AM
77th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Crazy worthless idea, but I want to do it anyhow!

Has anyone ever thought of modifying our MPG meters into G-meters instead? Like those things they are marketing for the Mini Coopers, but built into the dash! Just get an overlay with 0 in the middle and appropriate G readings to either side. Then just get the needle to auto center (cut the mechanical connection, and then add a counterweight to the top of the needle inside the cluster maybe?) and have a good old time! Hey, what good is the ultimate driving machine unless we know EXACTLY how many lateral G's we pull in our daily 12mph commutes!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
nah, I'd rather retrofit the oil temp meter from the M3 cluster, then I'll know exactly when it's safe to push it.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
^^ ?? do you have a picture of that?

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 02:42 AM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I'm talkin bout, baby!

#5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Cool... I wonder if I can do that?... Google here I come.

My BMW Blog
#6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:31 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
I'm killing my MPG guage to turn it into a boost guage.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:18 PM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Yeah Yeah Yeah, rub our naturally aspirated noses in it Starmavin! LOL

That would be a kick ass mod actually! What all will be involved?

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:

Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
#8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

yeah, I want a oil temp gauge. I've been thinking about it, and just thought if I got a ///M3 cluster, cut and paste, then route an oil temp sensor to it, it should work, right? I guess I would have to look at it next time I have my cluster out, then study the Bentley some as well. It sounds easy... might not be all that bad. I'm VERY interested now.

My BMW Blog
#9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Neutral Member

E30crazy is on a distinguished road
The G meter is a cool idea, but I can't imagine the headache it would be to calibrate
#10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 04:46 PM
77th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
SEE!! Someone else in here thinks my G-meter is a good idea!!! LOL
You ain't schittin' Crazy... Getting the calibration right would be a bit of utter mathmatical lunacy if you ask me, but how friggin' cool would it be!

Josh W.

Quote:

#11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 05:52 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
I would love to have an oil temp meter in my M3. There are aftermarket gauges, I know...I have to decide whether my desire overcomes my laziness.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:48 AM
Retired administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
I would love to have an oil temp meter in my M3. There are aftermarket gauges, I know...I have to decide whether my desire overcomes my laziness.
You actually have it easier in that you can just get a Euro M3 cluster and call it a day whereas I have to get a special adapter to change the signal from a 6 cylinder output from the motor to a 4 cylinder input to the tach. Otherwise the tach won't read properly.

#13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 05:26 AM
vwk
1st Gear Member

vwk is an unknown quantity at this point
Or you go to eGauges and order the sender and meter there.. You'll won't have a integrated one, but hey, it's still VDO

Euro E36 M3 3.2 Rebuild Project

27 years
#14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 10:38 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Since the tach and the MPG guage are one pice, you may have trouble getting them to work with the stock US speedo cluster. Sounds like it could be done but it would have to be a labor of love, since this mod won't be easy to wire in. Neat mod, but is there any real benifit?
#15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:06 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Although the G meter sounds like a good idea it is not practial. When driving hard and getting high G readings the last thing you should be doing is looking down at your gauge cluster. Sorry to rain on your idea but I'm just looking at it from a practical stand point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)