Cooling system questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2004, 05:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
broketiltuesday is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, I have an '87 318 M10 engine (carburetted). When I take it for a short run (maybe less than 30miles) the engine will warm up and stay around 75% temp, the third peg. Some way clear of the red, but closer than I'd like.

I replaced the thermostat a couple of months ago from one that failed to the OPEN position to this which is installed correctly and I'm certain the cooling system doesn't have any air locked in it anywheres. All the cabin blower-heaters work just fine.

If I keep going though, and we're talking mainly motorway (highway) driving here, 70-80mph, sooner or later, it's like something gives in the cooling system and the needle jumps back to 50% where it stays.

Is this normal behaviour? The engine is never dangerously hot, but I would expect it just to get to halfway and stay there rather than getting so hot first. I think the thermostat full-open postion is at 82 degrees -- I was told this was right for my car but now I'm wondering? The radiator-cap rubber looks in good condition, the fan clutch is in good shape and there are no coolant leaks.

Where is the coolant temp sensor located in this engine? I might try testing that. Haynes is pretty vague on this and Bentley manuals are quite rare here in the UK. Also should this engine have an auxiliary fan, I know fuses 3 and 18 are used for it, but there are no fuses in these sockets and, I might be being dumb, but I can only see the radiator fan.

Cheers.

"Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
-Mark Twain
broketiltuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004, 03:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
broketiltuesday is an unknown quantity at this point
To answer my own question, you can find the M10 temp sender and a thermovalve or something like by following the topmost hose that comes out of the thermostat along to where it enters the engine, under part of the cold air intake. Under there is a divider block, forward of the carb where various water hoses go in.

Two 19mm bolts are set into this block, one with electrical connectors and the other with vacuum hose connectors. The electrical one is presumably the thermistor, this was caked in crap, the vacuum one I'm not sure of, the ETK diagram doesn't help too much either.

The thermistor has voltage when the engine is running. This makes sense but I don't know whether it's the correct value or not so probably I will try replacing it, and when the weather gets warmer do a full coolant flush or something.

"Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
-Mark Twain
broketiltuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)