Cooling System OVERHAUL! Anything special? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 325eXTATIC Send a message via AIM to 325eXTATIC Send a message via MSN to 325eXTATIC Send a message via Yahoo to 325eXTATIC
Cooling System OVERHAUL! Anything special?

Hey all, my car suffered a catastrophic cooling system failure the other day (close to home thank god) and as a result, I am doing a COMPLETE overhaul of the cooling system... Water Pump, Timing Belt and tensioner, all new hoses, expansion tank, thermostat, fan clutch, crank seal... the WHOLE SHEBANG! Are there any issues I need to look out for in particular? I will try to do a how to with pics as it happens, but I just want to eliminate any sneaky little problems before I dig in.

Thanks all!

Josh W.

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
325eXTATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
mrfc3s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mrfc3s Send a message via Yahoo to mrfc3s
well, how bad did you overheat? I duno how reliable and forgiving these cars are with the headgaskets... also if your replacing EVERYTHING, check out the Heater Core for leaks.... as far as i know thats about it

oh and hows the rad? take it too a shop and have it cleaned an rodded and such...
1990 Geo Storm GSi(dont laugh... 1.6l I4 130Hp DOHC)
1987 GMC Seirra 1500 4x4(workhorse, and For Sale too)

Last edited by mrfc3s; 05-30-2006 at 05:58 PM.
mrfc3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 325eXTATIC Send a message via AIM to 325eXTATIC Send a message via MSN to 325eXTATIC Send a message via Yahoo to 325eXTATIC
Good thought on the radiator, it does have a pinhole leak on one side. Too bad my damn temp guage died a week or two ago, because I could have avoided this whole situation. I overheated it badly enough (and quickly enough) that before I even noticed anything wrong, it started spewing steam and ALL power drained from the engine. I let it set on the side of the road to cool, filled it back up with water and limped it home, stopping every mile or so to fill it back up, let it cool, and move on again. We will see how the head gasket holds once I get all the stuff and do the work. Well, I needed to do the timing belt anyhow, so this just forces me to get it done more quickly than I had planned. As for the heater core, it doesn't show signs of leaking in or under the car, so I am pretty sure it is alright.

Thanks for your input man!

Josh W.

Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Old 05-30-2006, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
just feed it nitrogen.
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker185
just feed it nitrogen.

Actually, Moosepuck is my buddy, and when he and I collected RX7's, we were looking for EVERY advantage to get the MOST out of those little rotary motors... we came across a setup that would allow you to super chill your incoming air with liquid nitrogen or dry ice, and it supposedly gave you somewhere between 2-15hp (depending on who you asked)!

At least I can use this as an excuse for finally getting around to tucking my damn bumpers! WOO HOO, New cooling system AND sexxxy bumpers!
CHA CHING!

Josh W.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
haha yeah i was thinking about cooling systems and computers popped into my head for some reason and some of those extreme gamers do what ever they can to cool off thier comps for more power haha
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
Wow, that same thing happened to me... Lost my temp gauge, and within a week or two, blew my heater core, just about every coolant hose, expansion tank cap and level sensor, and of course, last but not least, head gasket. I learned my lesson well, i bought a VDO water temp gauge cuz i couldnt not for the life of me get my bmw temp gauge to work.

I have an extra radiator if you would like to buy it. If your gonna go through all the trouble to change the timing belt and water pump and stuff, get a compression check first to see how the head gasket is.

JoeMadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
buying the rad will have to wait another couple weeks. I already don't have the money to do all the work I am about to do, but I will definitely keep it in mind Joe, and I appreciate the offer!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Josh W.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
BTW my computer has a liquid cooling system

Old 05-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMadoo
BTW my computer has a liquid cooling system
Only way to go anymore! With the temps that these damn CPU's put out, the noise of a good enough fan to keep it cool is usually enough to... drive you batshit insane!
Sadly enough, I install them in the computers that I build for other people, but I haven't installed one for myself... *twitch, twitch* but I'm perfectly FINE!!

Funny, I don't remember eating corn!

Josh W.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Haha, I'm the oppisite, I put them in mine but thats it. I dont want something to leak in customers computers and have to pay for a new motherboard and whatever else happens to get juiced. I know its very unlikely but im just paranoid i guess :P.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
mrfc3s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mrfc3s Send a message via Yahoo to mrfc3s
hehe, someone was selling a Liquid system somewhere around here.... what will they think of next? Back in the day, i had heard that racers took parts off the car durring pitting and such and put them in the freezer to cool'em off, stuff like intercoolers and rads and such...

anyway, back on topic... i agree, get a compression test and check check check your coolent... Itd SUCK if you had to pull apart all this crap, replace it to come to find you have to pull it agian to do head gasket, just my $0.02
Im sure these cars are more forgiving than a rotary, but non the less, after repeated offences, im sure it couldnt be in the best of conditions. For those of you who dont know, the FIRST time a rotary overheats... its done and more times than not, you cant even use the housings for rebuilding it... if it heats you are GARRENTED to have to pull that block.
Good luck and hope your Gasket isnt fried sunny side up or scrambled...

oh also, maybe as a precautionary thing, consider installing some aftermarket mechanical gauges(not sure about the VDO one, dont know what it is) I know its Ricery to putem on a door pillar, but atleast youll have the security knowing that your cars safe.
1990 Geo Storm GSi(dont laugh... 1.6l I4 130Hp DOHC)
1987 GMC Seirra 1500 4x4(workhorse, and For Sale too)
mrfc3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfc3s
i agree, get a compression test and check check check your coolent...
Not even going to try reusing the coolant, starting all over, fresh. Just ordered $340 worth of goodies this morning from Bavauto, found that the 1 or 2 parts that were cheaper elsewhere didn't add up, as Bavauto's prices were lower on average than AutohausAZ or Pelicanparts. Should have them here Friday... God I am NOT looking forward to this!!

Josh W.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I have a 3 gauge console in my e30 where the change goes underneath the radio, its quite handy, I would recomend it, maybe along with a volt meter and oil pressure gauge.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Custom Install? Or is there a plate that just drops in? Installing the guages isn't a problem, I just don't like cutting into my interior too much, because I don't have the patience to make it look good. I want it work NOW without taking my time to make it look right.
*edit*
Nevermind... $130 for the damn MOUNT, then $35 per guage (guage prices are decent, but DAMN, a piece of moulded plastic for $130?)!?! That's gonna have to wait a few decades. Hey, the car already has 2 full decades under its belt, it can wait a bit longer!
Josh W.

Last edited by 325eXTATIC; 05-31-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)