Coolant Temp Sending Unit - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 06:50 AM
77th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Coolant Temp Sending Unit

Hey all, got a quick question for ya! My '86 eta coolant gauge stopped working. I bought the sensor but I can't access it very easily without removing the intake manifold, and I would prefer NOT to do that! The sensor is paced behind the thermostat housing and falls under the forward most intake plenum, just in front of the front fuel injector. Anyone else replaced the sensor without removing the manifold? Any suggestions for tools (If I remember right, it is a 19mm fitting) to get under there? The connector is larger than the wrench interface, so a socket won't work here unfortunately, and a standard wrench won't reach because of angles and such.

HELP!!!

Thanks again!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.

Last edited by 325eXTATIC; 09-19-2005 at 06:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:59 AM
1st Gear Member

DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
i will take a look at mine tonight and get back to you.........that is unless someone else beats me to the punch and pees in it.

sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:44 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325eXTATIC
Hey all, got a quick question for ya! My '86 eta coolant gauge stopped working. I bought the sensor but I can't access it very easily without removing the intake manifold, and I would prefer NOT to do that! The sensor is paced behind the thermostat housing and falls under the forward most intake plenum, just in front of the front fuel injector. Anyone else replaced the sensor without removing the manifold? Any suggestions for tools (If I remember right, it is a 19mm fitting) to get under there? The connector is larger than the wrench interface, so a socket won't work here unfortunately, and a standard wrench won't reach because of angles and such.

HELP!!!

Thanks again!

Josh W.
I use a semi-deep socket (just fits) with a 3/8 breaker (thinner than a rachet) over the valve cover then use my fingers once loose. From what you are telling me a socket won't work (do you mean deep well?), but if the sensor doesn't work that makes it useless to you the way it is, so break off the plastic connector and use a scoket to get it out, somtimes I do this because the old one can be really in there. Other than that an old deep-well socket taken to a grinder with vice-grips or 3/8 allen modified to fit in tight places works in a pinch, but you might feel your neck getting red a little after doing that. :lol:

P.S. Sorry DJ, didn't mean to step on your toes.

Last edited by Starmavin; 09-19-2005 at 11:07 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:21 PM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Mavin! I didn't think about it that way. Yeah, the sensor is dead, so I don't suppose that it is too important to keep it in good shape for removal! DUH!
Once I pop the connector off, any socket will work fine, but without removing the connector, there isn't any way I can see to get the sensor off with the right sized socket. The only other option I would be able to think of is a special offset wrench or a pivoting wrench of some kind.

Thanks again!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:

Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
#5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 08:12 AM
1st Gear Member

it's all good no stepping on toes.......however i think he has the wrong sensor. the sensor in question is the one below in the pic (with the connector off).....i didn't think the sensor would be that burried, so you might want to double check which sensor you are pulling
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmwsensor.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	22059  

sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 09:18 AM
77th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
There are two sensors in that area, and I don't have the right names for both, and I am replacing both, I guess I should have been more clear on that one. The one to the left of that sensor with the connector still on is the one I am having difficulty with. Still don't have a Bentley manual (I should be flogged, I know... I had the Bentley for my air cooled VW's and I wouldn't have been able to survive without it!) so I don't have the best descriptions currently. What are your thoughts on how to remove the one that really IS buried?

Thanks guys!

Josh W.

Quote:

#7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 10:14 AM
1st Gear Member

why are you replacing both? the one i have pulled is for sure the temp sensor for the guage. i turned my key on and started pulling one at a time (didn't feel like digging out the tech manual) and when i pulled this sucker the guage went dead. the buried one doesn't have anything to do with the guage, as that is the one i pulled first.

#8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 10:25 AM
77th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Replacing all the sensors one piece at a time, just trying to put the whole thing back to new standards! It is just me being overly anal retentive about my car. DJ, you should know about being a stickler for details! Just look at your swap thread! And for only $15-20 a piece, why not do it!

Josh W.

Quote:

#9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

well i am also of the addage "if it's not broke don't fix it".........i wouldn't mess with it if it is working correctly. however i would replace just the one for the cluster if that's not working like it should....

yes look at my swap thread, but that's a different matter altogether. i am leaving all the sensors alone on that eta motor however. but doing the timing belt cause i don't know the history just makes good cents.....

#10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 11:37 AM
77th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I served in the Army, so I learned the saying of "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is!"

Josh W.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)