Coolant Leak - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 11:56 AM
teh Canuck....eh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
(Thread Starter)
Coolant Leak

Hey all. I was thouroughly enjoying a spirited(averaged around 135-150hm/h), twisty drive throught the foothills yesterday and just before the turn-around point, my 'CHECK' light started flashig, and I looked to see that my coolant light was on. The tamperature gauge didn't move the whole time from the middle mark (or on the way back for that matter). I immediately pulled over, cracked the hood and saw that there was coolant that spewed all over the inside of the compartment. I kept a very close eye on things on the way back after topping up with *gasp!* water, because the only gas station that was close didn't even have any damn coolant! Certainly a flush is in order. It didn't seem as though the rad or overflow tank had leaked, but that it may have been coming from somewhere on top of the intake manifold. I couldn't pinpoint the leak, no cracked hoses or loose fittings/clamps. I know the e30 Braintrust will have some ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:04 PM
n00b

Dan TM is on a distinguished road
Been havin this problem on and off for a week or so. No spewing coolant though, just a light once a day or so. Went in to replace the timing belt and found a BAD water pump. If the packing around your pump shaft went, it would spew. See if the pulley has any front to back or side to side play in it. It should be solid. If not, it's leaking.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:26 PM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
OK, well...maybe my choice of the word 'spew' might have been a little extreme, but there was what I would say a pretty significant amount of fluid on the inside of the engin compartment and on the underside of the hood.
Thanks Dan, I'll cop a feel of the pulley and see what happens.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 05:03 PM
teh Canuck....eh

(Thread Starter)
Well, looks like it's just a pinhole in the bypass hose, but under pressure it sprays all over the place under the hood, looking a little more dramatic than it really is. That's a load off of my mind, thinking it might have been the water pump or something. Easy fix, but $40 bucks for the damn hose (it's only a 5 dollar chunk of hose...friggin' BMW)
#5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatCat
Well, looks like it's just a pinhole in the bypass hose, but under pressure it sprays all over the place under the hood, looking a little more dramatic than it really is. That's a load off of my mind, thinking it might have been the water pump or something. Easy fix, but $40 bucks for the damn hose (it's only a 5 dollar chunk of hose...friggin' BMW)
Garden hose repair kits are cheap and work wonders.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 10:48 AM
teh Canuck....eh

(Thread Starter)
I called the shop that wants to fix the leaky hose this morning to tell them that i'll just come get the hose and do it myself...they sounded VERY dissapointed. "Don't forget, we were going to sheck everything else for leaks too". No kidding, I was thinking of doing that very same thing! I already had the bimmer booked in for a brake bleed yesterday, so it was a coincidence that the hose sprung a leak...could you please take a look? I said. Sure, but it'll cost you $60 in labour! HA! Not for something I can do myself in less thatn 15 mins!
Trigger, garden hose repair kit, eh? Gets the job done well? Hmmm....
BTW, I checked around yesterday, and to get new one (would take a week) from Parts Source, all of $13.76, plus tax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)