Control Arm Bushing Help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
snpower is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Control Arm Bushing Help

My '90 E30 failed inspection for dry rotting bushings. I bought the parts from Bavarian Auto that include the bushing already mounted in the lolipop bracket. I can't get the old bushing/bracket off either arm though. I've tried vice-grips, hammer and chisel - they just wont move a bit. Any other techniques to try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
??? they really check those for an inspection??

I think all they check here are lights/signals and maybe cracks in the windshield...

sorry I can't help.

#3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I'm thinking a gear puller, although I've never used one and would not know which size to get.

Yes, they checked that. A shop I (normally) trust but man - $500.00 was the quote to do the job...
#4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
your going to need a gear puller to get them off... i cheaped out and got the 2 legged one and regreted it (although it is possible to do i highly recommend against it) so you should go with the 3 legged puller. Just get one that looks like it would fit... even drill out the old bushing if you can get a better grip on it...

also putting on the new bushings is going to be a bitch... go ahead and buy some dawn dish soap to use as lube and start brain storming ideas on how you would get it on without a press... :\ i have a way which i got mine on but i know there has to be a better way so if you run out of ideas then PM me and ill see if i cant help you out...
#5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 01:19 AM
Neutral Member

Marknhl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marknhl
I had to do those bushings on my '94 E36 and they were no easy task. I had never done them before but I got a tip from the mechanic at the BMW dealership to use the gear puller. (I had to get my alignment done and I had to replace the bushings before they would do it. They thought they were going to make $385, it costs me $80? I forget. That or less.) Definitely a good idea. Just rent one. Pay for one? lol screw that, I'm in college. Anyway, the gear puller should get them off without too much hassle. I actually ended up using a torch and melting some of the rubber off and then the outside bracket came off, then I used the gear puller again to get the center bushing off the arm. As far as putting them back on, I mainly used a 3lb hammer. Get the new bushing and bracket started with a few taps, then take the old center bushing and put that in front of the new bracket and wail on the old bushing which will act like a damper. Your arms WILL get tired. Get over it and keep wailing until they're all the way on lol. If it makes you feel any better, I put the first one on backwards! So I had to then pull it off and do it again. Not fun, make sure you don't do the same. Good luck.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 01:35 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
flame...thats how i roll or pickle fork, but i like fire...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 09:18 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
DONE. I hope

Well let's hope so. I ended up using my 2006 Tacoma and a tow strap to press the bushing/bracket onto the control arm. Just slipped the truck into neutral and let it roll forward a tad. Worked like a charm on the right side. On the left side after multiple attempts I could not get the bushing as far up on the arm as on the right. I bolted it in place, torqued to specification, and will have the car re-inspected tomorrow.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Neutral Member

Marknhl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marknhl
When I did it I didn't even use soap or any type of lubricate on the control arm if I remember correctly. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get them on there with multiple goods swings and a BIG hammer. It's not easy, give it an hour or so but just don't give up, stay down there and get it done. Using the truck? Now that's a big of scary innovation lol
#9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
mine was a bitch
#10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Awful job (for me anyway). Only worse one I've done was the oil pan. I'm sure the rest of the suspension is no cake walk either - ask me next spring!!

I beat the #$%! out of those things and they wouldn't budge enough to say so.

It's done and the inspection passed so cheers to me!!

I'm heading up to Portmouth, NH tomorrow (I'm a pilot) so I'll run over to Bavarian Auto and spend some more $$$...
#11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Sodium Chloride

oil pan is cake heh :\ steal me some sways while your at BAV. would ya?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)