Clunking and Soft engagement from drivetrain. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
Clunking and Soft engagement from drivetrain.

This is my first post on Bimmerwerkz, I've been reading over the site for a couple weeks now and found there to be some good info and advice. So on to the issue at hand! I just purchased an '87 325i, it was a cherry one owner out of Fla.! I have since found it to have some "slack" in the drive train in the form of some clunking coming from underneath rear and a seriously annoying vibration and certain speed-gearing combinations! Now I'm consider myself to be a fairly educated and able mechanic as I spent most of my life learning it, via the "to broke to pay someone method" and 2 years of automotive tech degree and most of my ASE certs, but I would like some advice from someone who has more hands on with this very situation with this very car! I have purchased the center support bearing assembly as well as the shaft bushing and the U-joint ( not guibo), but I have found some conflicting views on what should be done to the shaft. Or rather what can be done! Some say you must replace the shaft and the joint is not serviceable, but others say they have replace it? I find it hard to believe that it would be unserviceable as it was very easy to find the Joint replacement and I have never run into a car that you couldn't replace the u-joint in rather easily. Anyhow just looking for something concrete fact from someone who has actually had it apart before I tackle it with what little time I have and run into a snag! Also how can I "stiffen up" the engagement feel? Rear end bushings?

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Brandon
DIRTE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
?

Did i say something wrong? Just wondering as nobody has chimed in as of yet . I hope i havn't offended somehow. Don't be fooled by my pic, I'm not really a drunk, fat, hairy guy!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry dude. I have found the same thing with U-joints in the BMW world (i.e. people don't replace them.) I don't see why they shouldn't, I've done it in my truck and in several other cars.... It's unclear if you have replaced the guibo or not. If you have, then that should help you out quite a bit. When you are under your car, and you have the car in gear (4 wheels off the deck preferably) you should reach up and try to twist the driveshaft. There will be a little play, but not more than say an 1/8 of an inch (if that). Otherwise, there might be some problems in your rear end.
... and I'm not exactly sure what "engagement feel" is. You might have a slipping clutch.
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I talked to the former owner and he said that he replaced the guibo not long ago so I don't think that it is going to be the issue. On the rear end comment though, is that a common problem that you've seen or heard of with these cars? I'd like to know what rear end it actually has in it. It's an '87 325i U.S. spec as far as I know, does anyone out there know how to find out?
If it's not a very desireable one I might just replace the whole thing. Anyhow Thanks for your help man!
Old 03-28-2006, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
I'll have to look for the specs and see what rear end is in your car. You might be able to go to RealOEM.com and input your last 7 of your VIN and find out....
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Cool, I'll try that. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)