choosing a bmw - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 05:23 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jalupinyah is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey guys, Im going to be buying my first Bmw within the next 3-4 months and was wondering which E30 would be better an 87 325es or 325is im going to be driving it on the weekends and autocrossing it any input would be wonderful thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

greenlightracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to greenlightracer Send a message via MSN to greenlightracer Send a message via Yahoo to greenlightracer
325is baby

I wish mine was an is.

the only advatage the es would have would be fuel economy.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Neutral Member

'85 318i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to '85 318i
def. go with the is. it's more funner.

No posers, hacks or sellouts allowed.

"Only posers die..." - Stevo "SLC Punk!"
#4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:30 PM
5th Gear Member

Silver4evr is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a 320is. Great car. Go with the "is".

2004 E60 530is, Delivered 12/12/03, TiSilver/LGrey, PP, SP,PS, PDC, ACC, FRS, Step, Xenons, clear bra, body colored rear inserts. (Retired, 1983 henna red 320is)

2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition
#5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Fox

Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Well a es is easier and cheaper to make faster. And like all people that first get their cars say "im gonna spend money and make this fast" and like all people, that never happens. So if you are like 99% of car people out there just get the is because it is faster and funner to start though has less potential to gain.

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Fox</span></span> <span style='color:gray'>the Pirate</span>
Diplomacy is saying &quot;nice doggy&quot; until you find a rock.</span>

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to greenlightracer Send a message via MSN to greenlightracer Send a message via Yahoo to greenlightracer
True, but people also dont have lotsa money to put into a car, he didnt ask what would be best to upgrade, he just asked what's the best. Truthfully, no bmw is really perfect for mods, thats best left up to the hondas and vws. So if he wants to do that, he should prolly look into one of those.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Fox

Quote:
, no bmw is really perfect for mods, thats best left up to the hondas and vws.
I ought to smack you. Do you realize what you said? First off. Hondas are very tuned from the factory, there is very little you can do short of changing pistons or making them forced induction that will make them any faster. As for VW and honda they are both Wrong wheel drive, it takes the fun out of anything you do, any of my friends with hondas cannot keep up with me on solo tracks or dirt rally tracks. And you will certainly never get a Honda as fast as a stock 6 cyl BMW without putting wayy to much money into it.

However Hondas are the kings of body kits which in my opinion is the absolute worst thing you can do to a car. Might as well staple sheets of plexi glass to the front of the car, your only gonna break it off on speedbumps.

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Fox</span></span> <span style='color:gray'>the Pirate</span>

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Neutral Member

dude... VW's are super cheap to tune and can be rockets. My GTI for instance, it is an MKII (second generation, 80's to '92) It will RAPE any 3 series BMW up to the current, (I havent raced one yet) excluding the M3. I have only put $2000 into it. FWD is no fun true, but only when you are not raping a car that is ten years newer... I wish I could Mod my E30 to get it like my GTI does...

&quot;Only posers die...&quot; - Stevo &quot;SLC Punk!&quot;
#9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

318 makes my point exactly fox. And for ur info a honda del sol will make it to 60 in around the same time as ur 3, and there is more u can do other then changing the pistons to make it faster. But, don't get the wrong Idea, I hate hondas and well, I'd never own one except for the insight. and notice I didn't quote speed, but rather I said its EASIER TO MOD a honda or VW. So please read what I type before you go postal on me
#10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Neutral Member

lol, yeah my VW is my racer. The Jetta promises to be even quicker...

#11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Fox

Well dont get me wrong either. Im probly the biggest Honda fan in this room, but theres still not much to mod hondas that will actually gain power. Just because you can throw it on and it looks shiney in the engine bay doesnt mean it actually gains power. If you want a deffinition for the term mod for a honda it would be

Mod - A replacement part on a car that is socially acceptable or is what other people put on their car.

those exhausts for example, they dont do anything to hondas but lose whatever little power they had.

If you want to properly tune a car fine go ahead but im tired of people putting stuff on their car just because other people do it. Me and a group of friends have a CRX that runs high 13s and low 14s and its naturally aspirated. And we dont have a cherry bomb on it. But it took about 2 years to get this because no one actually sells performance parts for hondas. They just misrepresent all their products.

And btw i never said your GTI not being fast, my friend has a 2002 GTI with the 336 package i think its called, though stock. Its pretty fast, he beats me up to 130 mph by about 20 feet. However they are turbocharged and automatically gives them an acceleration advantage. I just said they cant handle good. Which they cant.

#12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Neutral Member

no they cant handle very well. my last Jetta did, I auto-x'd it. yeah, I'll take any car outside of like a ferrari or porsche or 'Vette to the road course in the E30 and kill them.

BTW what do you drive Fox? I beat 2002 GTI 1.8t's and VR6's in my GTI (if they are stock)

#13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 12:31 AM
n00b

LondonE30-318iS is an unknown quantity at this point
could consider a E30 318iS... most underated BMW ever...
#14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 01:39 AM
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
Fox, Im with you 100%, but BMW's can be modded, E30's not really having a good aftermarket except for the M3. get the 325iS I have one and it is magnificent, feels a drives awesome. Really, truely and awesome overall car, ofcourse its hard to find a good one, most BMW's are built to last, and you could get one with 150+k miles on it and it would need only minor stock replacements. My 325iS has 203k on it and all I am gettin in a radiator and shock mounts and a water pump. To be honest about the VW's and Honda's and stuff, I think VW is a well built car, honda is good for the miles, but preferably Id still take the BMW, seems a lot more thoroughbred and brings more joy. 100% on the ball about the stapling plexiglass onto the car.

Really, and this is just me, I think that people need to invest more money into learning how to drive there cars better, who cares how good they say they are now, either way any Pro racer can beat you, which means you need to learn more. Yeah some aftermarket parts can become a neccessity(tires/wider rims), but really, money should be invested in replacing used stock parts with just newer stock parts(unless a recall or whatever was made on them). You'd really start feel a difference you just made your car more up to date then more of what it isnt.

Oh, to all you Mod'ers out there, put as much shit as you want on your car, but "you gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you start fixin the nuts on the car".

Hope some of you found use to this and dont just think Im some stupid ass-hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front_Right_Corner_Medium.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	7283  

I hate: people who haven't died yet that I hate.
L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.
2000 BMW M Coupe - Dakar-II - S52

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)