Chip it! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Car: '86 E30, baby! '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd
Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Chip it!

Hey everyone! I'm brand new to the forum, and I must say, it kicks ass!
I recently picked up a nice little '86 325e and wouldn't mind doing a little work under the hood. I'm thinking that a chip is the first thing to go in, any suggestions on which one to go with? Thanks ahead of time for any input.
PhatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Anybody? No love?
Old 08-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Car: '01 330i
Photos:
yammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
Well I'm lookin' to buy one those ebay chips....I've never heard anything bad about them and they're only $30-40...can't go wrong with that! If it doesn't work then all you have to do is take it out, no harm done and you've only lost $30.

Sorry I can't be of more help...
Old 09-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
I have an ebay chip, no problems, nice performance gain.

JoeMadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Photos:
Thanks for the heads up guys. What brand is it JoeM? Easy to install?
Old 09-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
Its called "Proformance". I dont know what the differences are... Its a pretty basic install. You unplug the ecu in the glove box, pull it out, take out the 4 screws, seperate the 2 boards, and just replace the chip.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Photos:
Nice souns damn easy! Maybe I'll try one out. Is it pretty noticeable?(the extra juice)
Old 09-02-2006, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
It is very noticeable, throughout the entire powerband, it raises the revs to about 5400RPMs, and takes off the top speed limiter.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car: '77 BMW 320
Photos:
KMFDMR is on a distinguished road
Yo.

I've got a 1977 320A presently, but I'm looking to pick up a 1985 323i Baur TC. In the perfomance conversation that inevitably surfaced with a few Bimmer techs I know (I work for BMW) ECU chips came up, and they recommended the use of the Conforti chip only - regardless of model or series.

Can't give you why, but that's what I was told. If anyone here knows better, I'd defer. But these guys know their shit.

--
KMFDMR
KMFDMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
The only problem is conforti is mighty proud of their products, about $250 each.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car: 2004 ZHP 6SPD
Photos:
bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMR
Yo.

I've got a 1977 320A presently, but I'm looking to pick up a 1985 323i Baur TC. In the perfomance conversation that inevitably surfaced with a few Bimmer techs I know (I work for BMW) ECU chips came up, and they recommended the use of the Conforti chip only - regardless of model or series.

Can't give you why, but that's what I was told. If anyone here knows better, I'd defer. But these guys know their shit.

--
KMFDMR
+1 I have a TMS chip for my 92' 325 and it kicks ass! I had an ebay chip twice and it gave me the check engine light and did not work. It's worth the money imo. plus if you own or plan to own a bmw don't whine about spending $$ on it, they are expensive.

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
bimmerguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsanders82
+1 I have a TMS chip for my 92' 325 and it kicks ass! I had an ebay chip twice and it gave me the check engine light and did not work. It's worth the money imo. plus if you own or plan to own a bmw don't whine about spending $$ on it, they are expensive.

Actually, owning a porsche is expensive, owning a mercedes benz is expensive, compared to these BMWs are not all that bad...
Old 09-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car: '77 BMW 320
Photos:
KMFDMR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Actually, owning a porsche is expensive, owning a mercedes benz is expensive, compared to these BMWs are not all that bad...
Speak for yourself, I've spent nearly $14k AU on this 320 of mine in the last year. Granted, it's in fantastic condition now.. Rims - $1200, head gasket last September - $4500, Solex rebuild - $2000, brakes (cylinder, boosters, calipers, discs, drums.. The whole shebang) - $4500, and exhaust manifold - $1500. Plus the respray, but that doesn't count for mandatory expenditure.

And after all that, it still needs a windshield, rear balljoint, sump oil leak fix, and 3 new tyres before I can sell it roadworthy, which is why I'm not going to. It's going unreg.

Conversely, this Baur I'm looking to pick up looks in terrific nick. I'll post pics when I'm able.

--
KMFDMR

Last edited by KMFDMR; 09-16-2006 at 08:01 PM.
KMFDMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car: 2004 ZHP 6SPD
Photos:
bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
really it's all relative, but i was implying that compared to american cars and japanese cars bmw's are generally more expensive. that's all.

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
bimmerguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMR
Speak for yourself, I've spent nearly $14k AU on this 320 of mine in the last year. Granted, it's in fantastic condition now.. Rims - $1200, head gasket last September - $4500, Solex rebuild - $2000, brakes (cylinder, boosters, calipers, discs, drums.. The whole shebang) - $4500, and exhaust manifold - $1500. Plus the respray, but that doesn't count for mandatory expenditure.

And after all that, it still needs a windshield, rear balljoint, sump oil leak fix, and 3 new tyres before I can sell it roadworthy, which is why I'm not going to. It's going unreg.

Conversely, this Baur I'm looking to pick up looks in terrific nick. I'll post pics when I'm able.

--
KMFDMR
Chump change, I did a cylinder head and a complete timing chain job on a mercedes-benz 450SEL V8 after labor and parts his bill was about $6000, (just one cyl head, the timing chain skipped and bent all the drivers side valves) Then 4 months later his transmission went out, it was sent out to be rebuilt $3500 after shipping, rebuild, and installation. Keep in mind that my shop offered the lowest estimate.

A locked up motor (blown intermediate shaft) in a 99 porches boxster (only 31,000 miles common problem) after all was said and done, he paid $10,000 and that was a used motor.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)