BMW Werkz banner

Check Light Comes On For Brake Lights...

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  offabroadway 
#1 ·
Hello lately I have been fixing up my 1988 325i convertible and I wanted to fix a problem that has been with my car since I have driven it. On the overhead check control unit the brake lights red light up which causes the "Check" message to blink constantly by the speedometer. My brake lights are perfectly fine. They light up fine, they don't short out. The brake light red light comes up right when I start the car, and I don't know what to do. I wanted to know how to get rid of this once and for all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
On start up, it's supposed to light until you hit the brakes. After braking - that tells the computer the lights all work, it should go off. Have any lights been replaced with very low resistance like LED? Cause the computer will interpret that the same as no light :confused

#3 ·
Start your car with a foot on the brake? If not, you should. Odd that the light doesn't go out.

Oh, by the way, if you want the bloody annoying yellow "Check" to go out, there's a button on the overhead console that says "Check" on it. Push it. This lights up all the daignosis lights, and when released, the Check blinker will stop, but the warning light on the overhead console will stay on. Might help you stay sane. :)

#5 ·
1. Get some scissors in dominant hand.
2. Get some black electrical tape in the other hand.
3. Cut off about 3/4" tape with implement from step 1.
4. Place tape over offending "Check" light.
5. Enjoy!!

p.s. Don't run with scissors. :thumbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.