Changing the colors of the dash lights? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1984 BMW 318i
Photos:
daklunk is on a distinguished road
Question Changing the colors of the dash lights?

Does anyone sell those little plastic pieces that give our dashes that wonderful orange color in other colors, like blue or green? I'm going to be swapping out my dash, and while I'm at it I hope I can replace these little pieces...

Thanks
daklunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Nope, nobody makes them, it's not possible, since the color is built into the switches and dash buttons. The cluster lights don't have colored films they have full light bars colored amber.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Photos:
I meant the dash board center controls, they have those little clear orange plastic inserts, I was hoping maybe someone made them in blue or green, but it doesn't sound like it...

Does anyone make aftermarket guage faces, maybe white or electro-luminescent?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Not many people realize this but BMW made the light the dark orange color for a reason. That reason is to make it easier on your eyes while driving at night. The human eye hardly reacts to the orange/red light at night so your eyes don't have to adjust from looking down the dark road to looking down at a white light gauge or vent controls then readjust back to the dark road.

But if you want to ricer up your dash with blue or green lights go for it but the BMW engineers didn't make the lights in their cars orange/red just cause they wanted it looked different than other cars.

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by daklunk
Does anyone make aftermarket guage faces, maybe white or electro-luminescent?

Thanks

Yes, you can find them on ebay the 5k tach ones are cheap, but be advised, they are a pain to install and the power supply usually last for about 2 months then cut out.

I have installed several of them, I advise that you spray your needles black becasue the faceplates are white. At night the amber on the white face plates with blue, red numbers and letters looks cool. If you don't have an ebay account, I keep one of the 5k tachs on hand.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJNKY
Not many people realize this but BMW made the light the dark orange color for a reason. That reason is to make it easier on your eyes while driving at night. The human eye hardly reacts to the orange/red light at night so your eyes don't have to adjust from looking down the dark road to looking down at a white light gauge or vent controls then readjust back to the dark road.

But if you want to ricer up your dash with blue or green lights go for it but the BMW engineers didn't make the lights in their cars orange/red just cause they wanted it looked different than other cars.

*clapping* hands down the best explanation ever...couldn't have summed it up better

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Photos:
@ BMWJNKY, KRAUT: Thanks, I didn't realize the story behind it. Not that I don't appreciate the idea behind it, I just don't like the color much at all. I don't know why, it just bugs me. We'll see...

@ Starmavin: Thanks, I will take a look at them...
EDIT: I've been looking for a while, I can't find it... Do you have a link to the vendor or the page?

Thanks guys...
Old 12-12-2006, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 97' Eclipse GSX
Photos:
M3What? is on a distinguished road
For gauge faces, needles, and dash lights. Visit this website, they even make custom gauges and do really good work. I know they have the gauges for the M3, but if you called them they can make it for any car.

Import Intelligence - Automotive Accessories for the Enthusiast - Gauge Faces for the Professional

M3What? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Photos:
That's an interesting site, thanks for the link. They don't carry gauges for my application, but maybe down the road (after I've gotten it performing better) I could look into getting a custom set... CF would be nice.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 97' Eclipse GSX
Photos:
M3What? is on a distinguished road
No problem, their customer service is really good there. I just ordered custom gauges for my dsm. FYI, if you call them I'm almost positive they can make it for your car.

M3What? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Car: '86 E30, baby! '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd
Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Personally, I really like the orange. And yes...it's WAY easier on the eyes on a dark raod, especially if you have been driving for quite some time.
PhatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daklunk
@ Starmavin: Thanks, I will take a look at them...
EDIT: I've been looking for a while, I can't find it... Do you have a link to the vendor or the page?

Thanks guys...

For the 5k tach: eBay Motors: i208 85-91 BMW E30 318 325 WHITE FACE GLOW GAUGES (item 300060338092 end time Dec-15-06 20:15:05 PST)

For the 7k tach: eBay Motors: 1984-1991 BMW E-30 7000 K White Glow Gauges E30 #104 (item 230062552207 end time Dec-14-06 11:00:00 PST)
Old 12-13-2006, 07:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Photos:
Thanks! I like the looks of them... I have to ask though, is there a fix for the power supply problem?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
They are still a pain-in-the-ass to install.

As far as a fix: Buy a good inverter.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
i cant imagine for the life of me why you would want to do this, i have heard of people with other cars trying to get the amber look like BMW but never the other way around....you are crazy!

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)