BMW Werkz banner

Central Locking Unit Dead?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Bear 
#1 ·
when i first got my car the central locking unit used to work, but now it dosnt work anymore? now i have to lock everydoor one buy one and my trunk. how can this be fixed, do i have to replace the motor or maybe its something else?

thanks

#2 ·
i think that it would be a switch/sensor not a motor/solenoid.

the motors actuate the locks that arent the lock u are turning. so the chance of all 3 or 5 of them going is slim but possible. more likely that its a switch that controls the motors.

just my .02 and those .02 arent certified mechanic .02

#3 ·
I have a similar problem on my 1989 318i with central locking. This happens on the driver's door only. When I turn the key 45 degrees, the central locking system works as it should be. When I turn the key 90 degrees, the central locking is disabled and doors cannot be opened from inside, or from the passenger's lock - like a thief proof measure as the car manual states.

Problem is when I lock the car, the key doesn't stop at 45 degrees, but it goes a just a bit further therefore activating the thiefproof system. What could the problem be?

#4 ·
Mine used to work perfectly. Now they work intermittently. They still work most often to unlock (but not always). But when I go to lock, they usually don't work so I have to lock manually. Thing is I can tell the motors are still working sometimes so it must be a switch or something. Is the "actuator" another name for the motor that does the work? I'm wondering if anyone can give more specific ideas on where the switches are, or if you think it could be the power-lock relay etc.????

Thanks,
Mark

#5 ·
A DIY or FAQ on this subject would be nice. My entire Central Locking System is out for the count, so I have to get everyone to lock their doors... and sometimes, they don't. :guns Bastards. But anyways, my question: any telltale fuses/relays I can pop in there to make it work? I tried reinstalling the key heater fuse, and it drained my battery. So much for that. Didn't make the locking system work anyway.

#6 ·
Okay, if my central locking works... but I can only unlock the doors from the Drivers Side, what does that mean, and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

Josh W

#7 ·
Originally posted by offabroadway@Aug 9 2005, 12:44 AM
A DIY or FAQ on this subject would be nice. My entire Central Locking System is out for the count, so I have to get everyone to lock their doors... and sometimes, they don't. :guns Bastards. But anyways, my question: any telltale fuses/relays I can pop in there to make it work? I tried reinstalling the key heater fuse, and it drained my battery. So much for that. Didn't make the locking system work anyway.
[snapback]368363[/snapback]​
Go to www.bmwe30.net and click on articles and tips, there is a entire section on the central locking and how to troubleshoot and repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.