Car stalls - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jfertita is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Car stalls

Ok, so i just recently recharged my a/c and when its on and its really hot out for some reason, whenever i push in the clutch to slow down the engine stalls, but it only happens with the airconditioning on..can someone tell me why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 10:47 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Let me guess, your car is an 87 or older, right?
#3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 07:21 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
No, its an 86 325
#4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 07:52 AM
2nd Gear Member

DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
Somebody wasn't paying very much attention! He he he.... Help the little guy Starmavin. I'm guessing something to do with the fast idle switch or relay. Don't know what the little secret is tha Starmavin is getting at though, so listen up for the real dirt on the issue!
#5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 07:17 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
First, pull out your intake boot, and then unplug the throttle position switch. You'll see three prongs, with a multi-meter test for continuity between the left one and the middle. If there isn't you'll have to remove the throttle body to adjust or remove it. More on that after you get back.

If there is continuity, then remove the top panel above the glove box, just behind the computer to the left you'll see a green box, about the size of a bar of soap. This is your idle control module. check the plug for dirty contacts, if all is good you may just have to replace it.

P.S. If the one you are buying from the junk yard cam out of an 86/87 model check for a strip of green tape on the bottom, a defect prompted a recall from a broken solder point, the green tape marks the ones the recall was done on.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:27 PM
2nd Gear Member

DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
The green tape....

Where does he get this uncanny knowledge of all things E30?
#7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 06:23 PM
5th Gear Member

Actually the green tape is an emissions recall, but it still can cause a funky idle, also the recall has no limit, regardless of age or miles.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
But why would the car only stall out when the air conditioning is on? maybe a lack of freon is causing the compressor to freeze makin it stall?
#9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 05:54 PM
5th Gear Member

The throttle switch sends a signal to the idle control unit to raise the idle to compensate for the extra load. (A/C compressors suck out about 5-10 hp when on) If you have a lack of freon the compressor won't come on.

Unless of course your A/C compressor is no good and maybe locked up, that could stall out your motor easy. When the motor is off and cool reach down to the A/C and see if you can turn the front part of the compressor just in front of where the belt is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)