BMW Werkz banner

Car Died, Starter Has Funky Sound

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Abdul 
#1 ·
so i was going on a freeway, suddenly the TACH went down to about 0 but in about 2 seconds, the engine came up again and it was OK for next 100 miles, the same day i was coming back and it just did the same thing and totally died. no messy noise, just engine stopped. I replaced the fuel pump on the spot but the starter began to make weird noise, it simply turns unusually fast.. as if it was not catching or something. so went to pep boys and they diagnosed the starter was bad, then i replaced it in the car but its the same thing, it simply tuerns fast and doesnt start the car. i am sure there is fuel coming to the injectors, there is spark (replaces coil and distributor&rotor which were the ORIGINAL ones in the car, checked for spark and its there), the timing belt did not snap since there is spark and you can see the valves moving and the cylinders are moving as well... i am guessing it may be the ECU just died? anybody had any similar experience? ANY comment would be welcome!!! thanks guys!!

#2 ·
Originally posted by javieruz@Mar 7 2005, 12:28 PM
so i was going on a freeway, suddenly the TACH went down to about 0 but in about 2 seconds, the engine came up again and it was OK for next 100 miles, the same day i was coming back and it just did the same thing and totally died. no messy noise, just engine stopped. I replaced the fuel pump on the spot but the starter began to make weird noise, it simply turns unusually fast.. as if it was not catching or something. so went to pep boys and they diagnosed the starter was bad, then i replaced it in the car but its the same thing, it simply tuerns fast and doesnt start the car. i am sure there is fuel coming to the injectors, there is spark (replaces coil and distributor&rotor which were the ORIGINAL ones in the car, checked for spark and its there), the timing belt did not snap since there is spark and you can see the valves moving and the cylinders are moving as well... i am guessing it may be the ECU just died? anybody had any similar experience? ANY comment would be welcome!!! thanks guys!!
[snapback]305781[/snapback]​
do you have any compresion? cause if its turning over really fast then it sounds like you dont have any compression, check that also is it actualy turning over? or is the starter just spinning, cause your started coulda shreded the teeth on the fly wheel.

#3 ·
it does turn over, tomorrow i will actually check if ALL the cylinders are moving... a friend of mine says one of the cylinder arms may be broken or something like that... and then hopefully check the compression... the flywheel seems to be ok, since the engine turns....

do you think it may be a bad ECU????

#4 ·
sounds like what happend to me on freeway car just died but it turned out to be fuel pump. i just took it out and left it out while i went to junk yard to look for one for my car when i came back i put it back in and it started up still wanna replace it thou just in case. hows is your intake? at one point my car wouldn't start cause of hole in intake boot and would just turn. check boot, value, and filter. and don't know bout the whole ecu thing

#5 ·
My car sounded similar to that once. I would have to turn the key to the "on" position, then wait for the check engine light to come on. Once that light came on, the car would start. I'm not sure if this quite the problem you had, but mine only did it in the summer... So yeah... This wasn't any help.

#6 ·
well this is the sound my car makes now.... :banghead

anybody knows what it may be????

my friends is coming tonight and tomorrow we're gonna check the engines compression.... hope nothing cracked inside....

Attachments

#7 ·
are you getting a strong enough spark? could be cap and rotor... unless your getting a really nice spark, try regaping your plugs. it really sounds comprssion related cause of the fast turning over unless it just sounds fast... you are getting fuel right? take off your fuel line and see if you getting fuel could be a fuse or relay.

#8 ·
well, so my worst fear was fulfilled...

all 6 intake valves are totally bent, 5 rocker arms are broken and the cylinder head is useless since two cam retainers in teh head are broken as well... :cry :cry :cry

just finished taking the head off the car and just have to look for a completely new one...

the thing is that the belt did not snap, but it kinda slipped, it seemed in very good condition... and the worst thing is that i got the timing belt and water pump on wednesday to replace it on sunday and the car left me straned on the freeway (30 miles from home) on friday :(:(:(

hmm, at least i have a veeeery good reason to rebuild the whole engine now :(

hope this wont happen to many e30 owners....

Attachments

#9 ·
Originally posted by javieruz@Mar 13 2005, 11:57 PM
well, so my worst fear was fulfilled...

all 6 intake valves are totally bent, 5 rocker arms are broken and the cylinder head is useless since two cam retainers in teh head are broken as well... :cry :cry :cry

just finished taking the head off the car and just have to look for a completely new one...

the thing is that the belt did not snap, but it kinda slipped, it seemed in very good condition... and the worst thing is that i got the timing belt and water pump on wednesday to replace it on sunday and the car left me straned on the freeway (30 miles from home) on friday :(:(:(

hmm, at least i have a veeeery good reason to rebuild the whole engine now :(

hope this wont happen to many e30 owners....
[snapback]310915[/snapback]​

ouch sorry man! i feel your paint, i threw a rod last year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.