Buying Advice-help! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member
 
Hypnogaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Car:
Posts: 56
Photos:
Hypnogaja is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an oppurtunity to buy an '87 325es, 5spd, with 60k miles for only $1,000

Problem is that it looks like it got hit in the rear passenger side (dented in wheelwell and area around gas cap), and there are about ~2-3 spots on where it has rusted through (up front by windshield), but none of the spots are larger than the diameter of a pencil.

Otherwise; one-owner car, immaculate leather interior. Is it worth it, or should I pass it up and keep looking?
Hypnogaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-05-2005, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
77th Gear Member
 
325eXTATIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: See at ell! aka HOME!
Car:
Posts: 553
Photos:
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 325eXTATIC Send a message via AIM to 325eXTATIC Send a message via MSN to 325eXTATIC Send a message via Yahoo to 325eXTATIC
Quote:
Originally posted by Hypnogaja@Aug 5 2005, 06:44 AM
I have an oppurtunity to buy an '87 325es, 5spd, with 60k miles for only $1,000

Problem is that it looks like it got hit in the rear passenger side (dented in wheelwell and area around gas cap), and there are about ~2-3 spots on where it has rusted through (up front by windshield), but none of the spots are larger than the diameter of a pencil.

Otherwise; one-owner car, immaculate leather interior. Is it worth it, or should I pass it up and keep looking?
[snapback]367554[/snapback]

Deal him/her down to $650, buy it, and use it to keep looking for a car with a better body and use the first one as a parts donor (especially the interior, since most e30's have some significant interior wear)

If you have that kind of cash at least!

Just my 2 "sense"

Josh W.
__________________
Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
325eXTATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
DJProfessor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: I look goooood
Car:
Posts: 275
Photos:
DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 325eXTATIC+Aug 5 2005, 08:59 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(325eXTATIC @ Aug 5 2005, 08:59 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Hypnogaja@Aug 5 2005, 06:44 AM
I have an oppurtunity to buy an '87 325es, 5spd, with 60k miles for only $1,000

Problem is that it looks like it got hit in the rear passenger side (dented in wheelwell and area around gas cap), and there are about ~2-3 spots on where it has rusted through (up front by windshield), but none of the spots are larger than the diameter of a pencil.

Otherwise; one-owner car, immaculate leather interior. Is it worth it, or should I pass it up and keep looking?
[snapback]367554[/snapback]

Deal him/her down to $650, buy it, and use it to keep looking for a car with a better body and use the first one as a parts donor (especially the interior, since most e30's have some significant interior wear)

If you have that kind of cash at least!

Just my 2 "sense"

Josh W.
[snapback]367578[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

josh has a plan.....dealing down is good........also you could always just rock that one as is where is if you want........any chance you can get us some pics?

oh and josh, how do you like the dinan ecu? i need to chip my E30 motor in my E21 with something.....
__________________
sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
DJProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
77th Gear Member
 
325eXTATIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: See at ell! aka HOME!
Car:
Posts: 553
Photos:
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 325eXTATIC Send a message via AIM to 325eXTATIC Send a message via MSN to 325eXTATIC Send a message via Yahoo to 325eXTATIC
Quote:
Originally posted by DJProfessor+Aug 5 2005, 11:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DJProfessor @ Aug 5 2005, 11:23 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by 325eXTATIC@Aug 5 2005, 08:59 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Hypnogaja
Quote:
@Aug 5 2005, 06:44 AM
I have an oppurtunity to buy an '87 325es, 5spd, with 60k miles for only $1,000

Problem is that it looks like it got hit in the rear passenger side (dented in wheelwell and area around gas cap), and there are about ~2-3 spots on where it has rusted through (up front by windshield), but none of the spots are larger than the diameter of a pencil.

Otherwise; one-owner car, immaculate leather interior. Is it worth it, or should I pass it up and keep looking?
[snapback]367554[/snapback]



Deal him/her down to $650, buy it, and use it to keep looking for a car with a better body and use the first one as a parts donor (especially the interior, since most e30's have some significant interior wear)

If you have that kind of cash at least!

Just my 2 "sense"

Josh W.
[snapback]367578[/snapback]
josh has a plan.....dealing down is good........also you could always just rock that one as is where is if you want........any chance you can get us some pics?

oh and josh, how do you like the dinan ecu? i need to chip my E30 motor in my E21 with something.....
[snapback]367590[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

OOOhhh, DJ! The swap is complete huh? Congrats!
Actually, I love the performance of the car, but the previous owner had put the chip in before I bought it, ran 1 autocross with it, loved the car so much that he had to go get an e30 M3! So I don't actually know the before and after sensation of the chip, but for a car with 194000+ miles on it, I routinely kick Mustang a$$ off the line (gotta love a torque curve that comes alive at about 1700rpm!!!) granted they get me 300 feet down the road, but with my "calibrated seat of the pants" measurement, I would say that I am getting a 0-60 in the mid 7's (about 1.5 - 2 seconds faster than STOCK!) Granted it does have some nicer tires (Kumho Ecsta 711's) and a new stock clutch, so it really grabs some tarmac!
Did you put an Eta/Super Eta engine in your E21? I haven't kept up on that thread very well, but I would guess not, so your torque won't be quite as punchy as mine with a chip, but your HP will jump pretty nicely! I don't know if your engine is rev limited either, but because of the longer stroke of the eta engine, it is rev limited to about 4200rpm if I remember right, but with the chip I can puch it up to 5000 before it starts getting retarded. I have heard that the Bavarian Autosports chip is cheaper and the performance is very nearly the same though, and would have been the chip I would have bought if I were buying one for myself!

Sorry to threadjack! It won't happen again (until the next time I do it!!)

Thanks
Josh W

BTW, what type of music do you spin and where?
__________________
Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
325eXTATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
DJProfessor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: I look goooood
Car:
Posts: 275
Photos:
DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
we're not thread jacking, just keeping the topic on top :P

yeah the motor is in, just working out a couple of fitment issues right now. i want to do the lightened flywheel, exhaust, and a chip first off and see how i like her. she scoots good enough for me then i will go get a first gen M3 in the spring. not quick enough, i am going all out on the motor (see my thread on which personalized license plate to choose). i will have to look into that chip, i have heard chipping the ETA's can give you like 30 more ft/lbs. of torque, which is snazzy.

and i spin mostly trance. but i do dip into hard house, house, down tempo/chill/coffee house upon occasion
__________________
sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
DJProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
77th Gear Member
 
325eXTATIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: See at ell! aka HOME!
Car:
Posts: 553
Photos:
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 325eXTATIC Send a message via AIM to 325eXTATIC Send a message via MSN to 325eXTATIC Send a message via Yahoo to 325eXTATIC
Quote:
Originally posted by DJProfessor@Aug 5 2005, 01:50 PM
we're not thread jacking, just keeping the topic on top :P

yeah the motor is in, just working out a couple of fitment issues right now. i want to do the lightened flywheel, exhaust, and a chip first off and see how i like her. she scoots good enough for me then i will go get a first gen M3 in the spring. not quick enough, i am going all out on the motor (see my thread on which personalized license plate to choose). i will have to look into that chip, i have heard chipping the ETA's can give you like 30 more ft/lbs. of torque, which is snazzy.

and i spin mostly trance. but i do dip into hard house, house, down tempo/chill/coffee house upon occasion
[snapback]367623[/snapback]

Cool, I myself am not a DJ, but I have a good friend (Jygawatt) that spins some wax, and we produced a HUGE unity rave a couple years ago here in Atlanta! He is a breakbeats master with a slight cross into Hard Trance. I just liked the experience of producing something that was so well received in a city where "Raves are Dead" but unfortunately it really has died down here for the most part since then.

Cheers!

Josh W.
__________________
Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
325eXTATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
DJProfessor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: I look goooood
Car:
Posts: 275
Photos:
DJProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point
so you are down in Phatlanta then?........that's cool i use to live down there and work at Global Imports.....and actually that's where my E21 came from. some lady traded it in and a tech picked it up.....he was going to fix the floor and flip it, but i talked him out of that and i bought it. had my ups and downs with it, but i am very glad i have her now

they use to have this sick nasty E30 race car there when i first started, man that was an inspiritation :

alright, i do believe this thread jack is offically over
__________________
sexually assault a member of the VW community? if you belong to dubdojo or swov.org they will gladly circle their wagons and support you.
DJProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Advice On Buying A 94 540i bimerguyCW 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 7 08-21-2005 08:57 PM
Need Advice On Buying m1a1 3-Series (E21, E30) 2 10-25-2004 10:29 AM
Advice on buying a 323Ci acbmw 3-Series (E46, E90) 18 09-05-2004 12:22 AM
Buying Used 323..advice? jL637 3-Series (E46, E90) 7 07-23-2004 08:41 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.