Broken Idle Control, Fuel Pumps And Afm Issues - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:49 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ronpapworth is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
1985 325e. Changed the fuel filter after a slight hesitation started about 2K-3.5K RPMS. Decided to hot soak it and while letting the seafom sit in th engine, decided to spray the Idle control valve out with carb cleaner. Bad I dea I guess because now I have the tell-tale idle flux from 900K to 1400K in a loop. I will do some testing on it tomorrow but would that have killed it or is there any resurrecting it?

Back to the hesitation. I will test the innner and out fuel pumps tomorrow and I see that a failed transfer pump or failing main pump can cause the hasitation too. I noticed to night that the main pump seems to buzz loudly on and off. I think I still hear it running constantly, just sounds like it is going ito overload intermittently. Sounds like a pump going out... Will any E30 transfer and main pump fit this 325? I think I see some that look like it but they say its for a 318i, which I would think was a different set of pumps...

Finally the AFM. I saw a post that said the hesitation could come from some dead spots in the potenmeter(sp?) in the meter. My question there is will any 3eo AFM work as well, meaning a 325i ro a 318 e30 AFM...

Thanks all.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 12:36 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kowalski is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski
Quote:
Originally posted by ronpapworth@Apr 5 2005, 08:49 PM
1985 325e. Changed the fuel filter after a slight hesitation started about 2K-3.5K RPMS. Decided to hot soak it and while letting the seafom sit in th engine, decided to spray the Idle control valve out with carb cleaner. Bad I dea I guess because now I have the tell-tale idle flux from 900K to 1400K in a loop. I will do some testing on it tomorrow but would that have killed it or is there any resurrecting it?

Back to the hesitation. I will test the innner and out fuel pumps tomorrow and I see that a failed transfer pump or failing main pump can cause the hasitation too. I noticed to night that the main pump seems to buzz loudly on and off. I think I still hear it running constantly, just sounds like it is going ito overload intermittently. Sounds like a pump going out... Will any E30 transfer and main pump fit this 325? I think I see some that look like it but they say its for a 318i, which I would think was a different set of pumps...

Finally the AFM. I saw a post that said the hesitation could come from some dead spots in the potenmeter(sp?) in the meter. My question there is will any 3eo AFM work as well, meaning a 325i ro a 318 e30 AFM...

Thanks all.!
[snapback]326375[/snapback]
as long as the numbers on the AFM are the same they should fit. however some also have different connections i know my 318 has a round connection to the MAF but the older 325's and maybe 318's? i have square ones.

M42 Custom ground cams for sale PM me
264* roatation and 388 lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)