Brakes! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
and0pand0 is on a distinguished road
Brakes!

Well, I just noticed something very frightening today.

I popped my hood to check my fluids. I checked the brake resevoir (which I haven't checked in awhile) and I noticed that there's some black soot at the bottom of the filter cup. I took out the filter cup and removed (dumped out) the black soot easily.

So, does this mean that the square-cut seal is rotting in one of my calipers? Does it mean the cups in my B.M.C. are going out? I always use Dot 4 and nothing less (that's what the cap says to use!).

THIS SUCKS!
and0pand0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 02:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
whatever you do, dont rince it out with water, just add more fluid now, you should be fine from what it sounds like, fluids just do that over time, i would flush the whole system

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
oh and go with an Ate product, i like the super blue

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 08-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond reputeDIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
Yeah, go ahead and flush the whole system out with new fluid. One of the fastest ways to do this that I have found is to gravity bleed first. This entails taking a large bottle of cheap brake fluid and opening it and turning it upside down into the top of your resiviour so that it will fill it as you bleed. Then go around and crack your bleeders open and let the old fluid flow out for a couple of hours. All the while making sure to keep the resiviour full. This process will let any sediment that has collected in the caliper bowls seep out without agitating it by pumping the pedal and getting it all swirled up in there. Once you let it bleed out for a while and you see all new fluid in the resiviour, go ahead and start using your good fluid "ATE" and close off all but the furthest from the master cylinder and start bleeding it manually and move around the system from furthest to nearest the master. I'm not sure about the ABS on these cars and if it needs to have a special proceedure done with it or not, ask Starmavin.
DIRTE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Photos:

these are fairly inexpensive $40-50 and they are good for life.....very worthwhile investment, i wouldnt own a car without it personally...

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
That "soot" is just a sign of wear, it's from the rubber cups in the master cyl, a fine layer is actually harmless unless your fluid is really nasty. If your fluid is dark, coffee like colored, then flush your system. There isn't anything special to do with the ABS on these cars.

To flush it, what I do is I'll take an empty oil bottle, spray it clean with brake parts cleaner (best stuff in the world) then take a 2 foot clear line, one that fits the bleeder tight (found at lowes or hardware stores), cut a hole in the lid of the oil bottle then push the vacuum line all the way in to the bottom, "prime" the bottom of the bottle with about 1/2 inch of brake fluid, stand it up on the ground push the hose on the bleeder, crack it loose then just pump it with top to floor pumps until it's clear, just remember to refill the master cyl after the 4th or 5th pump and to close the bleeder before you pull off the line, then repeat at all 4 wheels.

Last edited by Starmavin; 08-18-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
I dont know why but you wanna start with the wheel farthest away from the master cylinder (Rear Passenger) and go from there.

JoeMadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
and0pand0 is on a distinguished road
WOrD

Thanks for your replies and info guys!
and0pand0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)