Brake Lining light? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:26 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pandora is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Pandora
(Thread Starter)
Brake Lining light?

The brake lining light is constantly on in my 92 318ic. The pads are new, and I recently changed out the master cylinder, bled the brake lines, and the brakes work beautifully. However, this lousy light is still on! Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Most likely, the brake wear sensors were not replaced.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Yup. Once the break sensors trip, you need to replace them or the light will not go away.

#4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
The brake lining light is constantly on in my 92 318ic. The pads are new, and I recently changed out the master cylinder, bled the brake lines, and the brakes work beautifully. However, this lousy light is still on! Any suggestions?
Hi Pandora, when I purchased my 97' 328i in 07', my brakes were @ 50%, but I wanted to replace them with ceramic pads, so I ordered the pads, with the idea that I would just use the old wear sensors. To my surprise the front sensor was attached properly to the pad, but the rear was not attached to the pad, it was taped off & secured with a nylon tie & no brake lining light was on! So here I am with new linings & old wear sensors! I don't like any f%#king warning lights on, in my ride, so I found as a temporary fix, you can just touch the end of the wear sensor to ground & then tape it off & secure it out of the way until you get the new ones..............
p.s. this what the previous owner must have done because when I purchased the car the brake lining light was not on, also I don't plan on replacing the wear sensors until my new ceramic's wear out! So I just look @ my pads every now & then..... with all this, YOU just might not find it worth it, to do this, in that case you can just replace them..........
Excellent price: Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s)
johnny,

#5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
Brake pad sensors are in the front Drivers side pad and the rear passenger pad. they cost about $5 each and should be plug and play, they just clip onto the brake pad, and then onto the receptor for the sender. My guess is that you do not have any installed at the moment.

I currently have a sensor that wasn't the right size and won't fit on my pad so I just have it tied off to the brake bleeder valve cover so i won't throw a light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)