BMW Werkz banner

brake light issue

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BMWJNKY 
#1 ·
Hi all.

Every now and then, more often lately, my check light comes on. Sure enough I look at the light panel above ther rear view mirror and the brake light is bright. So I check my brake lights. They all work. I hit the check button and the alarm light is still on. I turn off the car and turn it back on, the alarm light goes out. Drive a little while down the road and it will come back on.

Is this common?

Something I can check on for a fix?

Any and all advice, suggestions, and comments welcome.

Oh, one more thing. I am still looking for a good cluster.

Thanks very much.
Richard.

#3 ·
what year, e36, e46????

Brake Warning Light Problems
Brake warning light problems are fairly common. Sometimes the check control system will erroneously display information that a brake light bulb is out. The warning circuit checks the resistance in the tail light circuit and illuminates the warning light if it senses anything out of spec. We recommend starting off by checking the bulbs. Make sure they are the correct voltage and size. Then check the bulb sockets for any corrosion or buildup. If these things check out but you're still having problems then you may want to try Original BMW bulbs. The resistance of some aftermarket bulbs may not meet the tight tolerances that your check control system requires. The BMW bulbs seem to work better. If that doesn't work check all the wiring connections. Also be aware that some cars (5 series 89-95, 7 series 88-94) use a bulb control module that when it fails can cause the warning lights to come on erroneously and/or turn off the lights randomly. Also check the brake light switch behind the brake pedal!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.