BMW Werkz banner

Brake Light Circuit Warning (again)

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Stamey 
#1 ·
Before you say it, I did search, and my eyes hurt after pouring over 42 pages of search results for "brake lights".
My brake light circuit warning light comes on randomly, more times than not as of late. I have checked, rechecked, changed out, and rechecked the bulbs again and again.
In some of the search results I have seen where there have been problems with the brake light switch, but I never saw any mid-80's E30s referenced, only 1990's E36's.
I wonder if the brake light switch could be my problem also.

Any ideas, or confirmation of the brake light switch will be appreciated.

I have some other issues, but I will exhaust the search function before I post on them. A lot of good inof here. Thanks for the site.

Thanks,
Chris

#2 ·
Originally posted by Stamey@Mar 2 2005, 09:45 PM
Before you say it, I did search, and my eyes hurt after pouring over 42 pages of search results for "brake lights".
My brake light circuit warning light comes on randomly, more times than not as of late. I have checked, rechecked, changed out, and rechecked the bulbs again and again.
In some of the search results I have seen where there have been problems with the brake light switch, but I never saw any mid-80's E30s referenced, only 1990's E36's.
I wonder if the brake light switch could be my problem also.

Any ideas, or confirmation of the brake light switch will be appreciated.

I have some other issues, but I will exhaust the search function before I post on them. A lot of good inof here. Thanks for the site.

Thanks,
Chris
[snapback]302924[/snapback]​

there is a switch that is mounted in front of the brake pedal they're common to wear out and they're like 12 dollars or somthing like that, get yourself a new one and thats your problem good luck with the other issues post them up.

#4 ·
if they are ABS this is from the Tech service bullentins :confused

ABS Warning light
Models 1985 - 88 BMW Models with ABS
Bullentin No 34 01 88 (1555)

Problem
The ABS warning light may come on intermittently, and normal troubleshooting procedure do not indicate any defect. This can happen, when the vehicle is driven over 50 mph, or on cars that have recently had two new tires, or snow tires installed.

Hint
Check all four tires on the car to make sure they are all the same brand, style and size. Also note if there are any new tires with substantially more tread than the other tires

Differences in tire may cause enough variance in rolling diameters to confuse the ABS control unit, which may give a false signal to the ABS warning light. This is especially true if snow tires have been mounted on the rear wheels only.

Well thats what I have for you, interested to see if it holds any water. :wrench

#5 ·
I will have OSRAM 7506, 12v 21w bulbs in there. They even say Germany on them, so I guess they are right. I wonder what will happen is I ever try to put LEDs in there. :goodness:
I have never had a problem with my ABS, that I know of. That's what made me fall in love with the car in the first place.

I will check into a brake light switch today.

Thanks,
Chris

#6 ·
The dealer must not have heard the year right, because he gave me a switch that looks like what most threads here describe, the plastic one with a red insert. :banghead
Back to the dealer tomorrow....

Chris

#7 ·
Originally posted by Stamey@Mar 3 2005, 04:43 AM
I will have OSRAM 7506, 12v 21w bulbs in there. They even say Germany on them, so I guess they are right. I wonder what will happen is I ever try to put LEDs in there. :goodness:
I have never had a problem with my ABS, that I know of. That's what made me fall in love with the car in the first place.

I will check into a brake light switch today.

Thanks,
Chris
[snapback]303092[/snapback]​
Don't use the LED replacement bulbs, they will set the bulb failure for sure.

The dealer must not have heard the year right, because he gave me a switch that looks like what most threads here describe, the plastic one with a red insert. icon_smile_banghead.gif
Back to the dealer tomorrow....

Chris
Brake light switch
For vehicles up to 9/86: 61 31 1 368 786
For vehicles from 9/86: 61 31 1 360 420

#8 ·
Thanks for the info. I will take that, and the old brake light switch, when I go to the dealer tomorrow.

Chris

#10 ·
On hold until Monday, at least. Turns out my car was built 11-85, and it is the earlier switch, which they do not stock.
Hopefully I get it Monday.
They gave me the wrong coolant level sender today, even after finding out that it was an earlier model. :wacko:
I guess I will have to take the VIN with me whenever I go. Hopefully that will keep them from screwing it up.

Chris

#12 ·
Yes, the brake lights come on, every time.
Brake Light Check Control relay? I will look for it tomorrow. Is there anything that gives me a clue about it? I was in that side of the trunk before, when replacing the antenna, but the only thing I found in there, that I can recall now, seemed to be the amplifier.
Should I hear it click when I turn on the brake lights?

Thanks,
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.