BMW Werkz banner

Boost za power! Boost za power!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Halon 
#1 ·
I'm getting a 318i, and I'm looking at these stock numbers and seing potential and all, but I was wondering what were some typical ways to boost power. I hear there are turbo kits for the 318i out there, but I'd like to try and stay away from expensive turbos and all the problems they bring. Of course I could get a good breathing system for the car, but thats something I'm not so readily prepaired to source I guess. header, exhaust, intake, I don't know how effective the OEM models are, or if there are better Aftermarket versions or what. You know? I'm definatly alot more of a japanese market import kind of person at the moment, never expected my first car to be a BMW. So I'm just trying to get a little more power going to the ground in the near future without putting down too much big money. To sum this up, do you guys know anyplace/sites that sell bmw bolt on accessories to increase horsepower and all that fancy stuff? I'm just starting to test the water.

#3 ·
Bavarian Autosport, BMP Designs, Dinan and AC Schnitzer, in that order, are the best to start with I think. They get more and more expensive as you go on, but they're all very popular and easy to research - excellent candidates for beginner modifications.

The latter two don't make much for E30s, anyway.

The best way to get the car faster is more rubber, less bounce, and less weight. Wider tires, taller rims, new suspension components, lighter drivetrain parts, and stuff like that would be the most cost-effective way to make the car more fun to drive. However, if you're looking stirctly for numbers, get engine internals. Or a new engine. Whichever.

#4 ·
are u planing on getting an E30?

btw: get used to Bimmer cause once u get one u wont go back to the japanese shit!

#5 ·
well yeah, I'm getting an e30, unless a 85 318i doesn't fit into the e30 chassis? Agh. I guess I want to boost my horsepower a little. I mean... a stock 100 is just not enough. It'll do for now, I mean I haven't even learned how to drive the car yet, so I'm going to wait before boosting it of course, but when the time comes I want to have a good idea of what I wanna do. I don't wanna get bigger rims, I like 13-15" rims for better handling, especially with such low horsepower. I always hear more unsprung weight = worse handling. Also your RPM's can climb higher in corners with smaller rims because they're turning a smaller circumfruence or something... confusing things... am I wrong? @_@ Anyhow, I definatly am more interested in handling and maybe show drifting :) than trying to race straight line. if I wanted straight line I think I'd probally try and swap in a L6... in fact I probally won't stop considering that just for some extra umph. :) Couldn't get the 325... or I'd have just done that, but you know. How much more weight is in the L6 engine/tranny than the l4 engine/tranny? Anyone know? Anyhow... crazy questions from a silly kid.5+

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.